Alicia's Reviews > The Woodlanders

The Woodlanders by Thomas Hardy

Sep 13, 2011

Read from September 13 to October 03, 2011

Apparently, this is Thomas Hardy's favorite of all the novels he wrote.

My order of Thomas Hardy favorites is:

Two in a Tower
A Pair of Blue Eyes
Mayor of Casterbridge
The Well-Beloved
LEAST FAVORITE: Jude the Obscure (way too tragic for me)

My 18-year-old son also loves Tess of the D'Urbervilles and took it to BYU with him in his suitcase, one of 3 novels he took with him to college. (The other 2 are Great Expectations and Pride and Prejudice.) He thinks those are the best novels ever and that they should be re-read regularly. =)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woodlanders.

05/09/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Sarah 서라 (new)

Sarah 서라 Is this a clean book could a young teen read this?

Alicia I think so... I do not read raunchy or graphic books, and I consider this a clean book. Though Thomas Hardy touches on "mature" topics, he doesn't write about them graphically. I wasn't thinking about this book for a young teen as I read it, because it has a lot of parts that my young teens might think are "slow" or too descriptive. But I would say: yes, it's a clean book. (My older teens read and loved Tess of the D'Urbervilles -- which also contains mature subjects but is handled tactfully and provides LOTS of issues to discuss!)

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom Caufield Interesting, Alicia. My favorite is 'Tess..' and then 'The Woodlanders.' I wanted to like 'Far...' but couldn't get into it :( (liked the film tho :)

Alicia Far From the Madding Crowd must be a Girls' Book?!?! =)

message 5: by Tom (new)

Tom Caufield I don't know! I love how Hardy shows human folly play out within an unchanging, non-judging, constant natural world.

message 6: by John (new)

John V. I loved Far From...I also really enjoyed Jude, but I couldn't finish it. I really liked the characters Jude Fawley and Sue Bridehead and remain (in my view) two of his best. I am okay not finishing it when it got too sad.