Arys's Reviews > The Third Kiss

The Third Kiss by Kat Colmer

bookshelves: ya-reads

The Third Kiss (Love's Mortal Coil #1) by Kat Colmer is book one in her Love's Mortal Coil series about Jonas Leander and his longtime friend, Cora Hammond. A year-ago, they shared a spur-of-the-moment kiss that both are pretending didn't happen as they reunite, on Jonas and his twin sister Beth's eighteenth birthday.

Known for his lack of commitment in the dating area, Jonas is taken back by a mysterious letter he receives under his door stating that he'll have to endure a test of true love or be forever alone. A curse that gives him three chances, or rather kisses, to find his true love. However, nothing is ever easy.

Demons are out and about trying to make sure he fails on finding his true love and they mean business. Filled with interesting myth-building, action, suspense, and romance, Ms. Colmer creates a story that will keep you interested until the very end.

I liked how Kat Colmer created a unique fantasy story with mythology and curses. She plays with the theme of love: romantic love, familial love, and love through friendship. How deep the bonds are. Jonas and Cora are strong characters. I admired how Jonas cared strongly for both Cora and his sister Beth. Not wanting either to be hurt even at risk to himself.

Ms. Colmer also succeeds through her characters in showing us the various forms of love and how they are experienced and how it affects people feelings towards love. For example, Jonas and Beth's parents loved each other so much, that Jonas described their type of love as all-consuming, which made him steer clear from love all-together. For Cora, though her parents are divorced, when she asks her father if he regrets loving her mother, he tells her no. Bringing forth the idea that it is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all. I liked how Ms. Colmer has ties-in the different views of love through Jonas and Cora, and how they learn how they really feel about love throughout the book.

Besides, the subject of love, there is the curse. The history and mythos, and how they find out more about the curse was interesting. I don't want to give too much away in regards to that, but I liked how it was presented. Though it did take a little while to get there from the beginning. I really hope there is a second book coming soon, because I really want to know more about the curse, the bad guys, and how are the descendants chosen as the Eros Guardians.

Overall, The Third Kiss by Kat Colmer was a good start to a new YA fantasy series and I look forward to reading more by this author. I gladly recommend.

(I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book I received for free from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for my open and honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Third Kiss.

August 1, 2017 – Shelved