Robert S's Reviews > All the Truth Is Out: The Week Politics Went Tabloid

All the Truth Is Out by Matt Bai

liked it
bookshelves: history, nonfiction, politics

Senator Gary Hart's downfall in 1987 can arguably be considered the foundation for the TMZing of our politics that we endure today.

It was in the case of Senator Hart that the media finally exposed the alleged affair conducted by a politician, something that was previously conducted in open secret by numerous politicians including Presidents. It was here, better or for worse, we entered a new age of politics and have never looked back since then.

Bai's book is very much two books in one. One is the rise and fall of Gary Hart as a presidential contender. Here, Bai seems to wax regrettably about the fall of Hart but he doesn't really ever separate him from Clinton or some of the other "Atari Democrats". The other part is the media's role in coverage of politicians, the fallout for those involved here, and what their role is in these cases. Bai seems to go back and forth on the topic, although he seems to find the skulking about by journalists to uncover personal misdeeds not related to the office to be below the profession.

Overall though, there's certainly some interesting tidbits here about Hart and the media circus surrounding his downfall. I would have enjoyed a more comprehensive view afterwards of how our politics was transformed but some good stuff here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the Truth Is Out.

August 1, 2017 – Shelved