Mel Bradley's Reviews > Breaking Bonds

Breaking Bonds by Ari McKay

liked it

3 What Happened Stars
The premise of this book sounds… delicious. I love a good chef story and this one had it in SPADES. The book starts out with a chef on vacation blowing up at the owner of the hotel/restaurant he was eating at because the food was horrible. I wasn’t quite sure I was into being rude for rude’s sake, but it ended up not as bad as I thought and was the beginning of a great opportunity for both men.

As mentioned, I love a good chef story – and this one had moments of time in the kitchen and the long hours and the passion for food. But the story itself felt bland. The dialogue was stilted and awkward – something felt off with the sentence structure and words, but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. In addition, neither character had any real depth. There were moments of almost there depth, but nothing penetrated. It felt like I was being told about their depth instead of experiencing it. For example, Carter has a difficult family (to say the least) – but we never really got to dig in deep with the hurt there. Just that he wanted to make them proud and told them off. Lots felt missing.

Overall, if you like a chef story, this could be a good read for you – but it’s a high-level plot driven story, with a narrow plot that shows itself within the first few pages. Not that that’s always a bad thing, just could have used a little bit more of a build up so to speak. But I digress – if you like a chef story and watching a chef find his passion again, then this is the read for you.

Review Copy of Breaking Bonds provided by Dreamspinner Press for an honest review.
Reviewed by Mel from Alpha Book Club
descriptiondescription

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking Bonds.

Finished Reading