Ellen Keim's Reviews > The Wednesday Sisters

The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton

Sep 13, 2011

it was ok
Read in September, 2011

I wanted to like this book. It seemed to have all the ingredients that would attract someone like me: the book primarily takes place from 1967-1975 and I graduated from high school in 1970; the women meet to encourage each others' writing efforts and become friends in the process; and there is a lot in here about women juggling children, marriage and sometimes a career. But this was not a sweeping novel of five women's lives. The later years are rushed through and tacked on at the end. The women never seem to fully engage in the events of the day (or at least I didn't feel that they did); the writer bits were not as revealing as I had hoped; and the family-marriage-work conflict only comes up for one of the five women. Also I felt that the book didn't have enough suspense; it wasn't a mystery, but I think every novel should keep you guessing and this was just too predictable. Nor is there a true climax unless it would be when the women show their solidarity for one of the women who is battling breast cancer.

The book isn't completely without merit. It just didn't quite hit the mark. The main character wasn't that interesting. The conflicts never seemed to fully erupt. And most of all, the characters didn't seem that real.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wednesday Sisters.

10/01/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Pat (new)

Pat Wow, what a ho=hummer. I tried this one with the book clubs that Ifacilitate, but no one, I mean no one, could get through it. It was just so boring and had no real plot. No one every went anywhere or did anything. First order of writing, show don't tell. This ho-hummer was all in the telling

Ellen Keim That's interesting. At least I know I'm not the only one who didn't like it!

Sherry Mabry Add me to the list. A laundry list of 70's issues and none of it was engaging or felt real.

Cassie I am almost done with it and considered abandoning the book but I'm close to the end now. There was no depth to it. I wanted to know more about their lives and struggles.

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim I was about 3 chapters in and cannot go back to it. I wanted to, really. Lol I kept getting distracted by other thoughts. I am abandoning it. Ugh

Lindy Thomas Enjoying it - the iPod mentioned alongside Butch Cassidy & Sesame Street (1969) was a bit anachronistic but I guess it could be the author looking back from the 21st Century.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa McBrien I have this book in my Nook library. Thanks for the warning, I will try to keep an open mind.

Barbara I thought I was the only one.. most of the reviews rave about how good the book was and how they missed their own friends. I had a hard time following the plot, maybe because I wasn't very interested. I also had a hard time keeping the women straight.. the glove girl or the breast cancer girl???? Just glad to see there are others like me.. I always tell some of my friends they over star on Goodreads.