Amanda Caswell's Reviews > The Perfect Rake

The Perfect Rake by Anne Gracie

Sep 13, 2011

bookshelves: wishlist, regency, part-of-series, rakes-and-rogues

This is the first book in Gracie's Merridew series and it's definitely my favorite novel by the author. Miss Prudence Merridew is weeks away from turning 21, which means she can finally take her sisters and escape from their abusive grandfather and, hopefully, make contact with her secret fiance who remains in India. When their grandfather falls ill, Prudence takes her sisters to their great-uncle in London to enjoy the season and escape the man's rage.
But not everything goes according to plan and her sisters cannot enjoy society until she marries--for her sisters are beauties and she is decidedly plain. In desperation to come up with a reason why she's ineligible, she declares herself secretly engaged to the Duke of Dinstable, a recluse in Scotland who shouldn't be able to deny her claim--except that he's unexpectedly come to London to get himself a wife. She goes to his house to warn him of the lie she'd told (and to get him out of hit), but instead encounters his cousin, a notorious rake who agrees to play the role instead. He falls hard for Prudence almost at first glance, but Prudence is promised to another and unsure of his intentions toward her. Can she trust him? Can she escape her grandfather until she comes of age?
I loved this book! I've read of the other sisters, but I wanted to read the book that started it all. There is a great balance of drama, romance, and comedy which made it a delight to read. According to my personal tastes in romance novels, I did skip two pages of romance, but it didn't affect my enjoyment of the book at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perfect Rake.