Whispering Stories's Reviews > Return

Return by Aaron Becker

20354973

Return is the last book in a trilogy, following a young girl who with her red marker pen can draw magic doors, and enter other realms. The series is unique in that the books don’t contain any words, just illustrations from beginning to end.

I haven’t ‘read’ the first two books, but it didn’t take me long to understand exactly what was happening. The little girl wants to play, she wants an adventure. Unfortunately, her father is working, so she has to create her own fun, starting with drawing a magical door, in which she enters into a world of kings and queens. Closely followed by her father, who goes looking for her.

Return, is a spellbinding book. It captured my imagination with its silence. The novelty of being able to narrate the book myself was completely unique to me, it felt almost poetic.

Although this is a picture book, it is not for little children, the plot is too challenging. There are no young drawings, just beautiful, evocative illustrations. The images are like movie screen shots, each one tells a different stage of the story, moving one shot at a time. The intricate detail is what sets this book apart from others. Every little detail has been carefully drawn with precision, giving the reader the visual setting for their minds to work with.

The story flows naturally, and it effortlessly moves along at a steady pace. There are no language barriers with a wordless book. This book is just a filled to the brim fantasy adventure, that relies on you, the reader to complete the story, whichever version you may choose.

Reviewed by Stacey on www.whisperingstories.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Return.

August 1, 2017 – Started Reading