Annie Flanders's Reviews > The Immense Journey

The Immense Journey by Loren Eiseley

Sep 12, 2011

i have fond memories of reading loren eiseley in the late 1960s. one of my fondest memories is that i was reading either this book or 'night country' when i first met the late science fiction writer, philip k dick.

a friend at cal state hayward [that's what it was called long before it changed names to it's present one -CSUEB] felt that eiseley was 'too deep' for me at the grand old age of 21. he brought this friend of his to one of our 'nickolodoen nights' - a group of us played gin rummy and ended the evening watching fellini flicks [:::::smile:::::] and i was introduced to his friend this way -- 'this is my friend phil from la.' i have a vague recollection that at some point i was told that phil was a writer, because i remember that i asked him what he did - someone said he was a writer, and then they all laughed, but no one would ever tell me WHAT he wrote!!! it wasn't until he died [a year of so after i read 'man in a high castle,' and i saw his picture in a magazine that i reaized who he was.

all i know is that he and my friend stubby spent that evening and several others discussing eiseley and lorenz and others of that time and way i should or should not be reading them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immense Journey.

12/30/2016 marked as: read

John Love your review. I enjoy Philip K. Dick also. This book is right up my alley.