Jaymie's Reviews > Olivier

liked it
bookshelves: arc, bayoubookjunkie, dsp
Read in July, 2017 , read count: 1

3 Stars!

Olivier has been working in different capacities for Benitez, a local Crime lord since he was young. Everything he does he knows to do without question in hopes of keeping his sister and niece safe and secure. Maybe one day they'll be lucky enough to get away from Benitez's control. When he's called on to give an associate a message by going after his son and killing him, Olivier has no idea how his life is going to start changing. Somehow what was supposed to be an easy hit turned sideways when the victim's brother, his twin no less, shows up and starts looking for answers.

Cody Anders has been estranged from his family for a long time after deciding to travel his own path. Returning to town for his brother's funeral is harder than it should be but his brother's widow requested he be there. What he finds is the same hateful family he's turned away from and the truth of his brother's death. What he never planned on was becoming caught up in the crosshairs due to his father's missteps. Or falling for a man who may or may not be able to let him live.

This is one of those stories where it sounds so intriguing and fun to read but somehow doesn't pack as much of a punch as you'd like. That's not to say that it's bad but more to say it was okay. I wanted more, more from the story, more from the characters and more from the romance. I wanted to feel anxious at how things would be resolved but I really wasn't.

I wanted to feel the chemistry and electricity between Olivier and Cody. What would have drawn me in is the undeniable and inevitable pull between the "good guy" and the "bad guy" (Cody and Olivier). I wasn't convinced of their connection or that they would do anything for the other. It was hard to feel completely invested in the relationship.

Technically the writing was fine and I can't fault the author on mistakes or typos. The premise was good and it fit nicely with the rest of the series. It just didn't blow my mind or have me unable to put it down.

I don't know if I'd go out of my way to recommend it to those who haven't read other books in the series. But I wouldn't tell folks not to read it either. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't great.

***Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by Dreamspinner Press for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Olivier.

07/31 marked as: read