Ken Bronsil's Reviews > The Social Animal: The Hidden Sources of Love, Character, and Achievement

The Social Animal by David  Brooks

Sep 12, 2011

Read in September, 2011

This is a very well written, thorough, and interesting explanation of how our conscious mind is influenced by our unconscious mind--which, of course, we're not conscious of, but which is somewhat like the part of the iceberg you can't see---really, really, really big! Our unconscious registers everything and influences our decision-making about choice of friends and partners, life and career choices, jobs and careers, and much more.

Brooks has included a great deal of research studies about all this in his explanations, but it is all bound together by the life stories of two fictitious characters, Harold and Erica (from different localities and backgrounds, but who eventually fall in love and spend the rest of their lives together). So there's a love story (somewhat) here too!

You can't skim this book: Although his prose is very readable, you have to read very carefully and thoughtfully; and the paragraphs are fairly long at times, so you have to keep the thread as he goes through all the ideas. But this is a wonderfully detailed journey through the human brain and all that happens within it, most of which we don't pay attention to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Social Animal.