Erin's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Sep 12, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, loved, best-books-in-the-world, disturbing, liked, violent, good-for-anyone, funny, read-more-than-once

** spoiler alert ** This is the sequel the Hunger Games and it is my favorite book in the whole series. I always think that the beginning of all the books are great starters, because they're not completely jumping into the action first off, but calm, relaxed, helping you just easily slip in to the action when it comes. Book Information: I thought that in the beginning, when President Snow came to her house to tell her that she needed to be extremely careful and be COMPLETELY in love with Peeta or Snow would somehow kill Gale, and told her that he knew that Gale kissed her, that he and the Capitol just knew where she was and what she was doing at the time in District 12 because she still had that tracker in her arm from the 74th Hunger Games so they could know where she was in the arena, because it didn't say that they ever took it out. (Even though it never says anything like that in the book, I'm so clever!) And also because they were right by the Meadow, in plain sight. Anyone could have seen them. Even friends could have seen and betrayed them. As I read the book again and again, I realize more things that I didn't see at first. Like when Katniss and Finnick were talking in the arena, and she was guessing that it had been the only time in his life that he hasn't been pretty, and all that, I thought that instead of them just talking, or playing around, they might actually be insulting each other. I know a lot of you probably already figured that out, but I just realized it. Sorry. I know I'm going to get a lot of hate from whoever reads this, but I just DON'T LIKE PEETA! He's just not a very in depth, interesting character! I actually liked him better in the first book than in this one. That's just me though. But, I absolutely love Finnick. Finnick Odair, Gale Hawthorne, and Johanna Mason are my three favorite characters. Finnick is so hilarious! He just doesn't care what other people think of him. Well, part of it is that he already knows what they think. They only see him as his body, not his actual personality, or him. It's horrible, it really is, and he knows it is, but he uses the people that want and ask for him. It's not really his fault. Snow sold his body in the first place, for his benefit. When I read the book, and they just announced the Quarter Quell was going to be made up of that district's remaining pool of victors or whatever, I was like, WWWOOOAAAHHH... what just happened? I had to read that page over again a few times for it to really register. I kept reading, (obviously) to see how Katniss would react, (because usually she would freak out over these kinds of things,) and she ran into one of the empty houses in the Victors Village, and started screaming bloody murder until I was sure that she would die of never inhaling. (See? I was right!) But I really don't blame Katniss for the way that she had reacted, because after all just a person living in Panem, if there's one thing being a victor guarantees, it's that you will never have to go into the arena again. No one could have predicted that happening. Even Plutarch Haevensbee said that he didn't know about it. Stupid irony. Cinna and Portia were absolute geniuses at the Tribute Parades again, dressing in coal costumes, literally, and just like the last book, the idea of it totally blew me away. Headlamps and suit of shifting color and light to make yourself look just like burning coal... how does a person come up with that? Suzanne Collins is a truly brilliant, fantastic writer. It will be AMAZING and fantastic in the movie. I can't wait! Peeta annoyed me almost as much as he annoyed Katniss when he did all that laughing after the weird stuff with Chaff, Finnick and Johanna, and that really was kind of rude. Katniss would never do that to him. She's too considerate. At least she's that considerate to Peeta. I don't get why a lot of the Tributes never showed up in the Training Center. I mean, this is their last time to get ready to kill someone if you needed to, to get out of the Games, or would they just giving up because they have no hopes that they will ever survive? I think I would go the training center, just to try to make a difference in my life, even if I knew I would die in the Games in the first place. It never really says much about Blight, Johanna's District 7 District partner, and I am still wondering why Johanna teamed up with Beetee and Wiress, because she so much acted as if she hated them in training, calling them Nuts and Volts and telling everyone who didn't already know to call them that. Maybe she knew that they were smarter than her, and that they could save her for as long as she would let them live. I thought it was a very, very, VERY smart idea for Johanna to knock Katniss out , cut the tracker out of her arm, and then lead Brutus and Enobaria away from her, because everybody knows that they were hunting her. I know she didn't think of it herself, because her district and other districts knew too, but she probably had some part in the idea. Most of the tributes that weren't her allies would have at least liked to hunt her down, have the pleasure of killing her. She knew it too. Just like Beetee said about Wiress, Katniss is initiative. I always liked Finnick's crazy, funny, and likable personality. Johanna has her own kind of crazy and a little rude demeanor that I think (sometimes) relates to me. Beetee and Wiress kind of creeped me out. A lot. I mean, well, I don't know how to explain it. They just do. But, Beetee gets a little less unnerving in Mockingjay. I don't know why, but Enobaria kind of reminds me of Bellatrix Lestrange from Harry Potter, the way she's so powerful and big. When the morphling twin that saved Katniss' life with the mutts died, I got so sad! I mean, she didn't even know Katniss, Peeta, but she might have known Finnick, even so, she sacrificed her life for them! She went up to a mutt, and it bit into her chest. Very deep. Movie Information: The Catching Fire movie is supposed to come out on November 22th, 2013, and I can't wait! I am a little concerned though, because that's on Thanksgiving, but I don't care. I'm going to the midnight premier anyway. I can go with whoever I'm having Thanksgiving with at the time. I really want to see how they do the arena, but I think Hawaii was a great setting for the arena. I'm sure Francis Lawrence will do a great job anyway. I can't believe that they picked Sam Clafin for Finnick who I'm not really crazy about, but it's still fine. As long as they didn't pick some Twilighty person like Robert Pattinson, who I know a lot of people wanted, I'm fine with it. I am glad that they picked Jena Malone for Johanna Mason. I think she'll be fantastic! Fingers crossed! The director of The Hunger Games movie, Gary Ross, announced officially that he won't be directing Catching Fire, or Mockingjay. That made me so sad! He was an amazing director, and all of the cast said that he was the best director ever, and that he was brilliant. And that they can't see (theoretically) the next movie without Gary. Francis Lawrence got picked for the next movies, and I'm VERY glad about that because he's a great director, as he did Water for Elephants, which is a wonderful movie. As long as the movie follows the book, I would be pretty much fine with whoever they chose, except for any of the directors of any of the Twilight movies, which are so terrible that it's not even funny. If I were Superman, Twilight would be my kryptonite.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

Quotes Erin Liked

Suzanne Collins
“So it's you and a syringe against the Capitol? See, this is why no one lets you make the plans.”

Suzanne Collins
“Really, the combination of the scabs and the ointment looks hideous. I can't help enjoying his distress.
"Poor Finnick. Is this the first time in your life you haven't looked pretty?" I say.
"It must be. The sensation's completely new. How have you managed it all these years?" he asks.
"Just avoid mirrors. You'll forget about it," I say.
"Not if I keep looking at you," he says.”

Suzanne Collins
“The idea of being strong for someone else having never entered their heads, I find myself in the position of having to console them. Since I'm the person going in to be slaughtered, this is somewhat annoying.”

Suzanne Collins
“I wish I could freeze this moment, right here, right now and live in it forever.”

Suzanne Collins
“Look, if you wanted to be babied you should have asked Peeta.”

Suzanne Collins
“The bird, the pin, the song, the berries, the watch, the cracker, the dress that burst into flames. I am the mockingjay. The one that survived despite the Capitol's plans. The symbol of the rebellion.”

Suzanne Collins
“I don't care if you got knocked up. I can still rip your throat out”

Suzanne Collins
“I'm going to wake Peeta," I say.
"No, wait," says Finnick. "Let's do it together. Put our faces right in front of his."
Well, there's so little opportunity for fun left in my life, I agree. We position ourselves on either side of Peeta, lean over until our faces are inches frim his nose, and give him a shake. "Peeta. Peeta, wake up," I say in a soft, singsong voice.
His eyelids flutter open and then he jumps like we've stabbed him. "Aa!"
Finnick and I fall back in the sand, laughing our heads off. Every time we try to stop, we look at Peeta's attempt to maintain a disdainful expression and it sets us off again.”

Suzanne Collins
“I pull an arrow, whip the notch into place, and am about to let it fly when I'm stopped by the sight of Finnick kissing Peeta. And it's so bizarre, even for Finnick.”

“What about you?"

"Not a clue. I keep wishing I could bake a cake or something.”

Suzanne Collins
“Whose is it, do you think?" I say finally.

"No telling," says Finnick. "Why don't we let Peeta claim it, since he died today?”

Suzanne Collins
“Oh, the fun we two have together.”

Suzanne Collins
“Fine. Somebody else can arrange to get the stupid goat knocked up.”

Suzanne Collins
“You know, you could live a thousand lifetimes and not deserve him.”

Suzanne Collins
“I guess this is a bad time to mention I hung a dummy and painted Seneca Crane's name on it...”

Suzanne Collins
“They can pump whatever they want into my arm but it takes more than that to keep a person going once she's lost the will to live.”

Suzanne Collins
“I do think you're mad and I'll still go with you.”

Suzanne Collins
“I don't know what it is with Finnick and bread, but he seems obsessed with handling it.”