tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > The Jewels of Aptor

The Jewels of Aptor by Samuel R. Delany

it was ok
bookshelves: sf

Samuel Delany is in my top 5 favorite SF writers - & there's much more to him than that. He might've been around 19 when he wrote this so it's pretty damned precocious but his later writing's so much 'better' that I have to acknowledge this as somewhat 'immature'. Brilliant, but obviously written by someone who has a long way to go. Delany's one of those people who sets just about anybody's stereotypes on their heads by being such a free thinking, strong minded individualist.

I remember reading something by him where he discussed liking a Robert Heinlein novel b/c the protaganist isn't revealed as 'black' until very late in the bk - in a casual mention so casual that it establishes this particular fictional future as having gotten past the endless racism that our own time period is so sickeningly mired in. This, as I recall, stimulated his interest in writing SF. & Delany's bks address political issues of race & class & sexuality w/in fictional contexts in ways that few other people have ever had the inspiration to do. Or, at least, didn't until more recently than Delany did. More about that later. I'll probably read everything by him someday & I even recommend reading this one just for thoroughness's sake. Delany's worth it even at his 'worst' - b/c his 'worst' is far more intensely thoughftul than many, many writers' 'best'.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jewels of Aptor.

Finished Reading