Crystal's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Sep 12, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult
Read from April 23 to 26, 2012

I got to about page 300 of this book before I started losing patience. I found Karou and Akiva both fascinating. I couldn't tell where the story was going because it seemed so unusual. I just kept reading. But I got more and more frustrated at how the author was draaaaaagggggggiiiinnnnngggg out the story. OK. I get it. Akiva knows her secret. He's scared to tell her. GET ON WITH IT ALREADY! It's not like you need more pages--the book is long enough already.
I finally gave up and skimmed. a lot. and what I uncovered turned the story, or what I thought it was, on its head. It went from being intriguing YA urban fantasy to something that reminded me of Indian mythology. with maybe a touch of Constantine. Fine, sure, but not my style. Not what I expected, based on the first half of the book. If you have patience for drawn-out writing and don't just expect this to be another YA urban fantasy novel, you might enjoy it a lot. I know plenty of people who did. I just didn't.
I consider the book read because 1) I have skimmed enough to know what happens and 2) I'm not going to be rereading it any time soon. ever.
1 like · flag