Gem's Reviews > Wildwood Dancing

Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier

Sep 12, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: dwarfs, fairy-tale, fantasy, magic, romance, vampires, ya, fairies
Recommended to Gem by: Kelly

I was sad that I didn't enjoy this as much as I was hoping. I loved "Daughter of the Forest", thoroughly enjoy fairy tales, and was recommended this by a friend. However, I found it very slow - the pace didn't really pick up until two thirds of the way through. By that time, it was pretty clear what was going to happen.

It was, however, enjoyable - just not amazing. I enjoyed the retelling and combining of both the Twelve Dancing Princesses and the Frog Prince, and the fairy world Marillier created (especially the witch of the woods) - and the local people's attitudes towards the fairy world.

However, I was a little disappointed to be reading about vampires (again!) even if they were better handled than most authors do nowadays. Also, I had no feelings or interest in Cezar at all and was disappointed the other four sisters were not more developed and involved.

I was surprised too that there was no fix-all result for Tati and that, in the end, she did abandon her sisters to become a fairy. (In fact, Tati rather annoyed me. Who wastes away for love? Or rather, who wastes away for love in such an unromantic fashion? I prefer my heroines to fight for their love. If you're going to waste away, at least have a good reason for it. And don't completely disregard the sisters you've been so close to all your life!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wildwood Dancing.

September 11, 2011 – Started Reading