Geri Reads's Reviews > Keeping It Hot

Keeping It Hot by Sydney Landon

Jul 29, 2017

it was ok

2.5 stars!

I really, really wanted to like this book. I really did. Friends-to-lovers is one of my favorite tropes, and the blurb for this book got me really excited.

Unfortunately, there are too many issues that really stuck out to me. I tried ignoring and justifying them but the more I did the more they reared their ugly heads.

Don't get wrong, the writing was good. It was well-paced and had some really cool moments. But those moments were far in between. The rest just annoyed the crap out of me.

One of the biggest flaws of the book is the hero Dylan. He's one of the shallowest heroes I've ever read. An overgrown frat boy who took the heroine for granted and only noticed her when she started changing her appearance.

I've read books where the heroine had a transformation before and ended up loving them. It's a tricky trope to get right and the ones that did it successfully had managed to establish the hero as someone who sees the value of the heroine despite her appearance.

That wasn't the case in this book. The hero just didn't see the heroine as a woman worthy of his interest. That galled me.

It didn't help that the heroine was in love with the hero all her life and lived her life to cater to him. And her transformation was the same thing. It was all for him. There was nothing about it that was for herself. I have nothing against the whole idea of doing everything to get the guy. But come on, she already has the guy but the guy unfortunately is an idiot who only decided to pursue the heroine because he can see how amazing her tits actually are. *roll eyes*

Zoe was okay. She's a successful business woman but it's almost like she had to dumb herself down to accommodate the hero. I didn't get why she's in love with the guy when he's dismissive of her value.

Aside from the awful hero, this book runs on cliche after cliche, from the bestie to the bad guy villain to the meddling family member...it's just too much.

ARC provided by the publisher

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keeping It Hot.

July 24, 2017 – Started Reading
July 29, 2017 – Shelved
July 29, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Ivy (new) - added it

Ivy Deluca Great point about the transformation being all about him. The beginning felt a bit abrupt, like there was no setup to the makeover, it was like we were right in the middle of it. I kept thinking how much better it would have been to see moments where he had any affection for her before he realized she had great boobs. That might have made a difference.

Geri Reads Ivy wrote: "Great point about the transformation being all about him. The beginning felt a bit abrupt, like there was no setup to the makeover, it was like we were right in the middle of it. I kept thinking ho..."

Yes. Like the first time we meet Zoe she's mooning over him and looking for a way to get out of the sister zone. We never saw them interact pre-transformation. We were told about it but the first time we see them together she's already transformed and he's so bowled over her looks he's sweating. o_O

message 3: by Ivy (new) - added it

Ivy Deluca ♥~♥Geri Reads ♥~♥ wrote: "Ivy wrote: "Great point about the transformation being all about him. The beginning felt a bit abrupt, like there was no setup to the makeover, it was like we were right in the middle of it. I kept..."

LOL the sweating. Classic show vs tell. It never has the same impact if you just tell me that they cared. Show it to me.

Carole Great review...just what I was feeling...some parts were OK but considered DNFing because of Dylan's obliviousness and selfishness and the quick turn around was lust, not love...frustrating because it could have been so much better

Geri Reads Carole wrote: "Great review...just what I was feeling...some parts were OK but considered DNFing because of Dylan's obliviousness and selfishness and the quick turn around was lust, not love...frustrating because..."

Totally. This book had a lot of potential. The execution just wasn't up to par. Thanks, Carole!