Katarina's Reviews > Willow

Willow by Julia Hoban

Sep 11, 2011

bookshelves: for-hopeless-romantics, read-in-2011, emotional, realistic-love, contemporary

Very heartbreaking and at times disturbing subject matter. I have never known anyone with this kind of "disorder" but the way this book was written, I feel like I now do. I've known what it is like to struggle with a huge secret, one that is harmful, so I can find myself relating a bit to Willow. I think it takes a strong person to overcome something like cutting. This was a very good book about a real problem.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Willow.

Quotes Katarina Liked

“I just figured out why someone would want to make the first mirror... I think some lover wanted his beloved to see how she appeared to him. He wanted her to be able to see herself the way that he did.”
Julia Hoban, Willow

“It's hard to keep a secret when it's written all over your body... ”
Julia Hoban, Willow

“Well, sometimes I worry that my whole life will be based about what's comfortable and easy. I'll care too much about what makes me feel good to ever really reach for anything. And then I worry that even if I do, I won't succeed.”
tags: life, ya

“...if this is not a happy ending, it is perhaps a happy beginning.”

September 11, 2011 – Shelved
September 12, 2011 – Started Reading
September 13, 2011 –
56.0% "Loving it so far. Can't imagine having to go through the same things when I was that age. This is some heavy stuff!!"
September 13, 2011 – Shelved as: for-hopeless-romantics
September 13, 2011 – Shelved as: read-in-2011
September 13, 2011 – Shelved as: emotional
September 14, 2011 –
67.0% "I like that although Guy is helping Willow, he is also struggling with his own inner turmoil. It makes them, as a couple-- IF they're a couple, a recipe for disaster but in a way they help each other too. It's very intriguing..."
September 15, 2011 –