Rebecca's Reviews > Atlas Shrugged

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Sep 11, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: grown-up-fiction

Rand has some compelling pro-capitalism points. She believes capitalism is a system of justice: it rewards those who work hard to produce. Socialism, on the other hand, is a system of injustice: it rewards the parasitical, penalizes the hard working, and breeds political corruption. I love the title. What if Atlas (the hard working, industrious producers) decided to simply stop supporting the world (the economic system of the country) on his back? Interesting narrative, although Rand could have made her point in a fraction of the time. This book was way too long and way too wordy. I grew impatient with the monologues and lectures. I also grew to detest the "heroes" of the story. People (and economics) are not as black and white as Rand has depicted in her novel, and faith and kindness are important in any society. However, I fully support capitalism and believe that socialism would be destructive to our society. Timely read for the current political situation our country finds itself in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Atlas Shrugged.

03/11/2016 marked as: to-read