Christina (Ensconced in Lit)'s Reviews > Night Speed

Night Speed by Chris   Howard

bookshelves: won

Glad I got to finally read this book. Night Speed is basically like The Flash but sort of druggie style for teens where there is a subset of criminals that use it to steal money and then the team that uses it to chase them down and arrest them.

I was completely into it for the first 50%, but then it kind of dragged a bit after that. Near the very end there are some nice twists. What I liked: For the most part, I liked the main character, I was interested in the set up. Howard is very good with action scenes. I'm not typically into books like that, but for many of the speed scenes, I was on the edge of my seat. There are some great twists at the end, some which I wasn't expecting that came at a lightning pace.

What didn't really work for me: Alana's emotional arc (and the emotional arcs for the other characters for that matter) was kind of jerky and basically with no growth until the very end. There are some things that happen that seem way too fast for the characters to go through that kind of transition, and seemed unrealistic. For a book this long, you'd think there could be more space to work on the emotional growth and spread out some of the twists to allow the characters time and space to get to a new place.

Overall, a fun read, definitely worth a read, but could have been paced better, especially for the emotional arcs of the characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Speed.

July 28, 2017 – Started Reading
July 28, 2017 – Shelved
July 28, 2017 – Shelved as: won
July 29, 2017 –
page 146
35.61% "Really enjoying this! Glad that a trade forced me to read it!"
July 29, 2017 –