Sasha's Reviews > Between Shades of Gray

Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

Between Shades of Gray is the story of Lina, a 15 year old Lithuanian girl, who is taken captive with her mother and younger brother and shipped off to a Siberian labor camp during World War II.

First things first. This is a good book. But my misfortune was that I read it AFTER I had read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and while these books both take place in World War II Europe, that's really where their similarities end. Whether or not I felt more connected to The Book Thief because I was more aware of the tragedies in Germany rather than Lithuania, I don't know. But this book just didn't touch me in the same heartfelt way that The Book Thief did. And perhaps I can blame this on the rather grating voice actor chosen for Between Shades of Gray. It took all I had to get through the last 45 minutes of this audiobook. I found most of the characters to be extremely whiny; their voices like nails on a chalkboard. They didn't seem to have the strength of Liesel or Max. Yes, I know these people were in labor camps but I didn't feel their vigor or uncoquerable-ness (yes, I think I just made that word up).

And the ending just seemed rather un-realistic.

I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy this book; it's just that it was only an alright read for me. Do I think I would have liked it more if I read it before The Book Thief? Yeah, probably but what can you do, ya know?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between Shades of Gray.

Quotes Sasha Liked

Ruta Sepetys
“Have you ever wondered what a human life is worth? That morning, my brother's was worth a pocket watch.”
Ruta Sepetys, Between Shades of Gray

September 11, 2011 – Shelved
March 19, 2012 – Started Reading
March 19, 2012 – Shelved as: penguin
March 19, 2012 –
6.0% "Can't stop mentally comparing this to The Book Thief."
March 19, 2012 – Shelved as: audiobook
March 19, 2012 –
13.0% "trying to decide if i like this narrator or not. audiobooks!"
March 20, 2012 – Shelved as: ya-qc-5
March 21, 2012 –
30.0% "Getting better. I might keep with it."
March 26, 2012 –
65.0% "I think my lack of knowledge about the Soviet occupation in Lithuania really puts me at a disadvantage."
March 26, 2012 –
75.0% "The Old Bald Man is definitely my favorite aka my comic relief."
March 26, 2012 –
88.0% "This is hard to finish. The narrator is kind of grating on my nerves."
March 26, 2012 – Finished Reading
May 1, 2012 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
May 5, 2012 – Shelved as: young-adult
July 3, 2012 – Shelved as: everyone-loved-but-me
June 13, 2013 – Shelved as: read-in-2012
June 17, 2013 – Shelved as: 2011-publication

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Tyse Oh! This is one of my favorites:)