Bambi Unbridled's Reviews > A Touch of Crimson

A Touch of Crimson by Sylvia Day

Sep 11, 2011

bookshelves: read-2011, fantasy-paranormal, arc-netgalley, million-page-challenge

I wasn't sure how I would feel about this book when I started it (see sidenote below)... but I was determined to give it a shot as an ARC. Turns out, I really enjoying it! I felt like the origin/explanation of the angels, vamps, lycans, etc. could have been woven into the beginning of the story. I was not crazy about the dictionary at the front. I don't absorb the info/story when reading it in dictionary form, and its too hard to flip back to check the beginning when you are using an ereader.

I loved Adrian and Lindsay! Their relationship and interaction in the story made me smile. Adrian is a strong powerful male but he has a great sensitive spot... and Lindsay is a strong female lead with a great personality. I hope Sylvia Day continues with this couple through the series instead of switching couples for every book like some paranormal romances tend to do. I did feel that some of the statements/phrases in the love scenes were a bit cliche - but they were still steamy. I also really liked Elijah's character - strong silent and a bit broken. I was rooting for him throughout the book right along with Lindsay and Adrian. I think the story was complicated, dramatic and mysterious enough that it will make for a great series full of twists and turns. I will be looking forward to the future books to unravel the storyline and answer all the questions we were left with in this first book.

As a sidenote, I think that I was distracted a lot by the formatting - it simply is not yet formatted to read on a Kindle, so that detracted from the story a bit. I'm sure the publishers will get that ironed out before the release date.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Touch of Crimson.

September 11, 2011 – Started Reading
September 11, 2011 – Shelved
September 11, 2011 – Shelved as: read-2011
September 11, 2011 – Shelved as: fantasy-paranormal
September 11, 2011 – Shelved as: arc-netgalley
September 11, 2011 –
2.0% "So far this is reading kinda weird... but I think it might be because the ebook formatting is really off. Since its an ARC, I'm powering through and trying to ignore all the formatting errors."
September 11, 2011 –
9.0% "First chapter was confusing, but it got interesting after the second chapter. The formatting is driving me bonkers though."
September 12, 2011 –
34.0% "Still holding my interest ... but I think the lycan, vampire, angel origins could've been explained better in the beginning. The dictionary in the front was like reading, well, a dictionary. You don't really absorb the content when reading that way."
September 12, 2011 –
43.0% "Haha. The distraction to grab the ipad was a good one."
September 12, 2011 –
58.0% "I'm having a problem with Adrian always being in leather sandals. Leather flip flops are ok usually ... but leather mandals?"
September 12, 2011 – Finished Reading