Miles Sterrett's Reviews > Empire of Imagination: Gary Gygax and the Birth of Dungeons & Dragons

Empire of Imagination by Michael Witwer

19490855

liked it

I need to say a few words about my stars on this one. It was a 3, in that I enjoyed it, certainly, but it didn't blow me away; it's not something I'll seek to read again, and it's not a book I'll go out of my way to recommend.

That said, if you're interested in role-playing games, and the history of role-playing games, I think this is a pretty interesting perspective. It's centered on Gary Gygax, and makes some lofty claims about his importance to the world of RPGs and beyond. It's not without some supporting evidence on that front! The portrait painted is of a normal guy who planted and nurtured a small, but extraordinary seed that has developed into a towering oak.

I somehow missed the early days of D&D, and only got into RPGs several years after Gary's death (and have never played a game he created). Still, it's easy to see how much of my entertainment I owe to him.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empire of Imagination.

July 28, 2017 – Started Reading