Sabrin Ahmed's Reviews > Hickville Redemption

Hickville Redemption by Mary Karlik

it was ok
bookshelves: netgalley-arcs, ya, trilogies-duologies, romance, reviewed, read-2017, power-couples-otp, overdrive-ebook-wattpad-gplay, love-triangle-it-is-complicated
Recommended to Sabrin by: Netgalley
Recommended for: YA/Romance/Contemporary

*ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

Thirty years of Mystery. Murder or Suicide?
 Thirty years ago, Cassidy Jones fell from the abandoned train trestle to her tragic death at the age of sixteen. But what really happened at that bridge? Was it just a wild high school party gone horribly wrong, or were there more sinister forces at play?

30 years after the tragic death of Cassidy Jones, protagonist and shy farm girl Mackenzie Quinn finds the dead girl's diary in her hands. Meanwhile, 15 year-old Mackenzie's love life is on the rocks. Caught up in a love triangle with her best friend,jock Travis Barnes, and nerdy journalist Braden McGuire, Mackenzie must decide whether to bide by rules and expectations or to follow her heart and live in the moment. The long-dead girl's diary acts as a teenage guide for her,something or rather,someone she can relate and turn to.
Only,the problem is her dad,Tommy Quinn, was Cassidy's boyfriend and confidant and as a result featured in many a diary entries. With that kind of proof,Mackenzie's father is a prime suspect when the case is dug up by her jealous boyfriend. As Mackenzie delves deeper into Cassidy's world, she discovers shocking secrets and horrific decisions which led to fatal consequences. Rumours spread like wildfire and all those present at Cassidy's death become the talk of the town. Time is running out for Mackenzie as her father's innocence and her family's reputation hangs in the balance while she deals with a vengeful ex boyfriend and scandalous news headlines. However, the greatest obstacle she must overcome is her heart.

This book was honestly one of those you describe as a cute and thought-provoking summer read. It had an appealing fluency to it which mainly came from the characters. The writing is immensely enjoyable and hooking. Told from multiple perspectives, this one demands to be finished in one sitting. From the mystery to the farmyard animals to the characters, 'Hickville Redemption' is the one to read this summer.

The main lesson teens can take away from 'Hickville Redemption' is that it's acceptable and understandable to make faults at such a tender age and not worry about tomorrow but focus on the now,the here and the present. I swept through this book and ate it all in a few days. Despite being the third book in a series, there is no harm in reading it as a standalone; each novel has its own storyline and is centered on a different girl in the Quinn family.

What I loved about this book so much is that it goes to lengths to show that teens like anyone make mistakes, ones that will change them as people and responsible adults for the future. To see the protagonist develop as a character while she learns the ins and outs of high school, persevering while she deals with such a traumatising affair at such a tender age, is both heartwarming and inspiring.

The only criticism I have for this book is that the writing was not descriptive enough and felt unsatisfying. I would have loved to have been more involved in their quiet town life as well get to know the other characters a bit more. Also,though it might not be considered important, can we talk about the cover? I understand the symbolism of it, but both the aesthetic and creativity of the cover was lacking. Does it really matter? Let's hope not.

The author,Mary Karlik, is truly a hidden gem of a writer and one that we need to read more of. I look forward to reading the rest of the books in the series. Overall, I am glad to have read from the perspective of such a relatable character and be with her as she uncovers the mystery. I would highly recommend this to fans of the mystery, contemporary, romance and teen genres.

*The above quote(s) were taken from an ARC and are subject to change upon publication*

See my other reviews on my blog: https://bookalert101.WordPress.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hickville Redemption.

July 28, 2017 – Started Reading
July 28, 2017 – Shelved
July 28, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
July 28, 2017 – Shelved as: netgalley-arcs
page 28
"So grateful to have received an ARC. Braden and Kenzie make such a cute couple.Curious to know what Kenzie is hiding, what her dad has to do with the case and why Braden is so bent on solving it."
page 28
"Too cute. Hope it doesn't turn into a horror/mystery novel.*fingers crossed*"
page 115
"#lovetriangle. Come on, best friend vs. bf."
July 30, 2017 –
page 158
page 187
page 187
"U,oh... This love triangle has gone horribly wrong."
page 236