Hester's Reviews > Side Jobs: Stories from the Dresden Files

F 50x66
Sep 11, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: short-stories, urban-fantasy

I was asking myself the other day why I like Jim Butcher so much. The fight scenes are longer than I would like, Harry can be frustrating when it comes to women, and every now and then his worldbuilding just...collapses. Reading this collection helped me figure out why; Butcher changes. He grows. His series do not collapse into repetitive drivel.

The first collection in this story is really mediocre, and by the end of the first beer story, I was really annoyed by the constant sexism. I can understand why all the victims in a detective series in the 'real' world might be women; why would this also be the case when the villains are so overpowering that all humans are equivalently helpless? Why do the women all flirt with Harry at the end of the stories? Why are all the other characters so two-dimensional? WHY????

Throughout the collection, the writing slowly gets better. The last two stories are told from other characters' points of view, fleshing out the narrators. As for my complaint about the victims, check out "Ghost Story." See? Growth. SO satisfying.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Side Jobs.