Nasty Lady MJ's Reviews > What Happened

What Happened by Hillary Rodham Clinton

Note, I'm leaving the original pre-review below the actual review.

Disclaimer: I voted for Hillary Clinton in both of her presidential campaigns, and I’d vote for her again in a damn heart beat. So, yeah…obviously, this is not going to bash her. And before you mansplain that I didn’t do my research on her, I’ll have you know that I did PLENTY. I just, you know, didn’t get my news from Info Wars or Facebook.

Oh, also if you decide to troll on this review your comment is never going to get to see the light of daylight (or if you post junk on my GoodReads review of this you’ll her blocked and deleted). And don’t think you’re going to get a rise out of me, I’ll just be laughing as I block and delete because it makes it easier to know who to avoid.

Okay, that aside. I will say right away that I’ve always considered HRC to be a role model. A lot of the choices I have made in my career have been influenced by her, and I try to live up by the motto that she refers a lot to in this book, “Do all the good you can, for all the people you can, in all the ways you can, as long as ever you can.” The quotes actually a product of Hillary’s Methodist and I’m Catholic but it has really influenced a lot of my decisions. And Hillary Clinton has made the path forward a little bit easier for professional women going forward, and she needs to be given praise for that.

The book (obviously) deals with her run for president. It was an enthralling read. A bit bittersweet, melancholy, and desperately needed. When I finished reading it, I did feel like the country would eventually be okay. Though, now as I write this review watching the latest Trump-catastrophes that are airing on MSNBC that feeling is quickly disintegrating. I think what I liked best about this book was how relatable I found Hillary in the pages.

Hillary Clinton relatable? I know a lot of people are laughing at that. And I’ll probably get some flak for that remark, but as a professional woman reading about Hillary’s own struggles with misogyny I found myself nodding my head throughout the pages. It’s amazing that the struggles she faced at the beginning of her career are similar to struggles that I’ve experienced in my own. One of the many reasons, why she will always be a feminist icon.

The tone of the book has almost a blunt quality about it. And I loved it. She doesn’t waffle around subjects. She depicts the election for what it was. She takes blame for her own mistakes (think the comment on coal miners) but also states the very obvious that there were a lot of outside factors that contribute to her loss and the idiot we now have as president. Honestly, her tone reminds me a lot of my sister which is bonus points for her. It’s also interesting to note, that a lot of people don’t like my sister because she’s direct…funny, how being direct is considered a plus when you have a penis and not a vagina.

There is also an intimate quality to the book. Hillary talks about her personal life: Bill, Chelsea, the grandkids, her friends, even the dogs. We also learn what she likes to eat for breakfast and what’s on her DVR (though, if you read any of those stupid emails you’d know she watched The Good Wife, so it’s not really that big of a spoiler, but apparently Bill likes NCIS: LA). It also dives into some of the darker emotions that she experienced after the election, and the hope she has for the future. You also see her disdain for how the coverage was handled during the election and how Matt Laurer was pretty much an idiot (Hillary, girl, I agree).

As much as this book is about Hillary and about the fallout of the disastrous election in 2016, the book also touches on policy. Policy, oh lord, how I missed you.

I don’t know if I ever mentioned this to you guys, but I minored in political science during college, and that in part made watching the whole mess of an election really hard for me. Even during the primaries it seemed policy was overlooked (and yes, even the democratic primary).

Sure, St. Bernard promised the moon but he never explained how we were going to get there. Hillary clearly had a plan of how she wanted to enact policies, and how she thought we could feasibly get there. Her website was filled with them, and I always annoyed me how a certain idiotic morning news host with bad hair that used to be B.F.F.’s with Donald Trump until he insulted his fiancee said she had no message. Because her website was nothing but message after message.

But hey, ration was thrown away in this election. Especially the general election. In the later part of the book, there are sections of this book that almost feel like they’re written as an indictment against Russia, Wikileaks, the media and in part to Comey for what they did to unravel the momentum that she had. And it’s a damn it’s a beautiful written thing. Hate her all you want, but if it wasn’t for Comey’s interference the media would’ve been talking about that damn bus and it’s more likely than not that pervert wouldn’t be turning the White House not the Golden Showers House (God, I feel for whoever will be POTUS next, they’ll have to fumigate the place).

Yeah, crude. But I really don’t care. Again, this is my review and I’m just sick of having to be the adult while all the Trump, the Russian bots, trolls, Bernie supporters, etc. can act like the idiots they are.

Okay…back to the book. I think my overall thought when I closed this one is how much I missed Hillary and what could’ve been. Even if she never runs for office again, I hope her voice continues to resonate. It also makes me more energetic to keep on resisting, to fight the good fight.

Pre-Review Below:
Preordered and pre rating since I'm sure that Russian trolls and Trump-idiots are going to downrate it (seriously, surprised so many Trump idiots can read).

Anyway, I so wish this woman would've been president. The US wouldn't currently be the laughing stock in the world again and we wouldn't have the impending threat of a wee wee tape of POTUS being released to the world (you know it's only a matter of time).

For those who say that Hillary didn't have a message she did. Her website was a wealth of knowledge of policy and progressive ideas. She was the best candidate for president and it's only because of an antiquated system that was created because of slavery and Russian meddling and GOP gerrymandering that she's not POTUS today.

Bros, Russian bots, Trump idiots, mansplainers you will be blocked if you comment. And your sanctimonious comments will be promptly deleted. I'm not in the mood at all to deal with your shit. You have been warned. No go away.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happened.

July 27, 2017 – Shelved
July 27, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
September 14, 2017 – Started Reading
page 10
1.95% "Just the fact that she went to that inauguration and didn't say boo, I give her props for that. So many props."
page 40
7.81% ""In short, I thought I'd be a damn good president."

You would've. You so would've."
page 40
7.81% "Doesn't admit mistakes does she, "I've tried to give you an honest accounting of what I got wrong, where I fell short, and what I wish I could go back and do differently. This isn't easy or fun. My mistakes burn me up alive. But as one of my favorite poets, Mary Oliver says, while our mistakes makes us want to cry, the world doesn't need more of that.""
page 111
21.68% "Stopping here tonight. I have to go to work tomorrow. So far, I think the rating holds. I am enjoying this. It's sad at looking back at what could've been."
page 130
25.39% "As a young professional woman, this chapter is really resonating. People often say that Hillary is someone unrelatable, BUT this chapter is VERY, VERY relatable to me."
page 173
33.79% "This is oddly cathartic."
page 206
40.23% ""Finding the balance between principle and pragmatism isn't easy." Something Berners don't think about."
page 263
51.37% "Okay, just got a little weepy eyed. This book is really stirring up a lot of emotions. The hope I had during the election. The frustration I have had with the results. With what could've been..."
page 325
63.48% "Damn."
page 330
64.45% "So, Putin, is pretty much that douche who takes up two seats on the airplane. Lovely."
page 359
70.12% "You can really tell Hills had training as a lawyer in this book. It reads pretty much like a brief. And a damn good one."
September 15, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)

message 1: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol I agree with your sentiments in this review, MJ

Keep Calm Novel On Looking forward to reading her story from a brave person.

Christine Todd Love your comments. It took Putin, Assange, Comey, Fox news, the old boys network's smear campaign, and a boatload of double standards to cheat her out of the presidency. Misogyny won the election. Trump won nothing.

message 4: by Nasty Lady MJ (last edited Aug 23, 2017 07:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nasty Lady MJ Tim wrote: "WHAT A IDIOT. GET A BRAIN"

Bye, Bye Tim. Obviously you didn't read the warning prepare to be blocked. Note, I quoted his post for future idiots to know that I'm serious about blocking shit. I'm done with Trump morons, Bernie Bros, and Russian trolls, non-political sexists, and any propaganda spewing idiocy.

I doubt they'll read the warning though, but I'm the one without a brain apparently.....Uh, huh.

Marianne Jay Love your review and you are so right. Look what it took to bring her down

message 6: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz Right there with ya, MJ.

Diane  Willcutt I have been saying that to those smear her. Look what it took to defeat her. She is one strong woman.

message 8: by Nasty Lady MJ (last edited Sep 04, 2017 09:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nasty Lady MJ Joanna wrote: "I never heard anything but smears from her in the general election...not one word of policy...just smears, unless that is what the press reported and she actually had campaign events where she disc..."

Wrong. All you'd have to do is go on her website All of her policies are still there. Unlike certain idiots who just talked about building walls and insulting one group of people after another. The only reason that people think he had a message is because it was easy for the media to sum his rants into buzz words and phrases, rather than you know, actually dissecting policy. But believe what you want, obviously logic and reason hasn't dawned on you yet after seven months of hell with an orange loon.

message 9: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Fender She was the most experienced, brightest, and intellignet candidate ever to have run for president.
And she DID win the election.
MJ, you're spot on.

message 10: by Peter (new)

Peter In 100% solidarity with every comma you wrote. Looking forward to reading the book. And the pendulum will swing back politically: who in their right mind would ever vote for a third party candidate out of lofty principle now?

message 11: by Kris (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kris I love your review and look forward to reading her book. 100% agree with everything you said. And thanks for saying it!

Keep Calm Novel On HRC is an exemplary person. She has been unfairly judged by so many. Looking forward to reading her story.

Nasty Lady MJ Keep Calm wrote: "HRC is an exemplary person. She has been unfairly judged by so many. Looking forward to reading her story."

The excerpts I've seen so far have been excellent. I loved the bit about the pony.

message 14: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Fender Christine,
Please remove Nina and Nancy's ignorant comments.
Thank you.

message 15: by Nasty Lady MJ (last edited Sep 06, 2017 08:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nasty Lady MJ Pamela wrote: "Christine,
Please remove Nina and Nancy's ignorant comments.
Thank you."

I removed their comments from this thread yesterday, and I have blocked them from commenting in the future. I don't see their remarks here (logged in or logged off) , so maybe it's a browser thing? Good thing, about these trolls is that their showing their true colors and GR makes it easy to block. The bad thing is a lot of these accounts are clearly dummy accounts-either very recently created, or long time dormant accounts that only came out to trash Hillary and any of her supporters.

Honestly though, I don't know why they bother in the first place when they know I will delete and block. Is it really worth the effort having a disgruntled, grumpy, clearly HRC supporter read their dribble and then promptly delete/block their ass, I ask?

Guess so, since I have deleted like five comments in the span of 24 hours.

Nasty Lady MJ Linda wrote: "It's interesting that any opinions not in favor of Ms Clinton get deleted immediately."

It's interesting that this user who has no books on her shelves and three friends commented on this. Good bye, Linda. My review my space. I control who can comment on this thread and who can't. And if you read my review, you'd clearly see that I don't want to be harassed by morons. So, don't let the door hit you on your way out.

message 17: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa I agree MJ! I preordered the book as well and am looking forward to it! :-)

PinkAmy loves  💕 books📖, cats😻 and naps🛏 I ❤️ you and your politics and hope you accept my friend request.

PinkAmy loves  💕 books📖, cats😻 and naps🛏 I took your lead and also gave the book 5 stars, MJ.

message 20: by Elle (new) - added it

Elle Musoke Preach!

Jenny Jacquot knight YES! I started the book this week and may just finish it this weekend. It is hard to read HRC's account because the wound still feels fresh. I remember in the book that HRC said she didn't have scars from the loss; she has scabs that keep getting ripped off.

She comes across as completely accessible - like your brilliant, ambitious, hard-working friend wrote the book. You want to her and make her a cup of tea (or pour her a glass of Chardonnay), but when you turn around to hand it to her, you realize SHE WROTE YOU A BOOK while you were in the kitchen!

Barbieprivilege Thank you so much. I just started her book and I love it. I am so tired of people taking her over the coals for things they give men passes for. She is an exemplary woman with an amazing career and a personal role model.

message 23: by Paula (new)

Paula  Phillips I want to read this as being in NZ , we saw alot of coverage with the election. I am a Hilary supporter myself and still gobsmacked to how Trump got in, though I got plenty of backlash amongst friends .

Amber I agree 100%!

message 25: by Stacey (new) - added it

Stacey Camp Really nice review. I am looking forward to reading her book, though I imagine it will be pretty heartbreaking to relive the election again.

message 26: by Nasty Lady MJ (last edited Sep 17, 2017 04:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nasty Lady MJ MomToKippy wrote: "You are really cool MJ. Block, censor and delete those who disagree. Sounds familiar - in Nazi Germany for example."

No, I am not curtailing your right to free speech just because I don't want to be harassed by you or any other moronic Hillary hater. This is NOT a public forum. It's a private review. If you knew anything about the first amendment you would know that it's limited. GoodReads is NOT owned by the government it is a private company. GoodReads allows me the right to block and delete comments for my own purposes. I don't want to deal with yours and other people's shit. I see plenty of it on other parts of the internet. You are more than welcome to write your own review on this site. I won't comment on it, because I respect your space. But clearly you don't respect me or the warning I put on the review. So yeah, I'm going to delete your comment and block you because I don't want to deal with your shit. Now, fuck off.

hpboy13 Great review! I especially agree with your closing statement - this book made me heartbroken all over again for what could have been.

message 28: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Thanks for this review. My copy of the book is arriving tomorrow and I'm looking forward to reading it!

Helen Mountford Thanks. My copy just arrived and I'm hoping to be immersed in it for a few days.

message 30: by Rach (new) - added it

Rach I felt so sad reading this, her warmth and heart for people, her searing intelligence and policy mind. It made me wish for what might have been.

Nasty Lady MJ Rach wrote: "I felt so sad reading this, her warmth and heart for people, her searing intelligence and policy mind. It made me wish for what might have been."

It was definitely a bit of a hard read, because it still feels so raw. I really feel like she was robbed on so many levels. What I found so amazing about the book was that it did (for the few minutes after I read it) make me feel a little better like things would (eventually) be okay. Of course, I turned on the news and Trump did something stupid so....yeah, feeling shortly after disappeared but still.

message 32: by Rach (new) - added it

Rach I agree with you. And having just finished it in the last half hour, I also felt like maybe, just maybe, things will be okay in the end. Then I looked at all the one star reviews on this very site, and felt a sense of despair again. As long as I live I will not understand the hatred of Hillary Clinton, and the celebration of Trump.

Nasty Lady MJ Rach wrote: "I agree with you. And having just finished it in the last half hour, I also felt like maybe, just maybe, things will be okay in the end. Then I looked at all the one star reviews on this very site,..."

I think a lot of it is misogyny. I saw an interview where Hillary was like the more successful a woman becomes the more unlikable she is and I think it's true. If you look when her poll numbers were high in the past it was when she was at arguably low points in her life. For example, like right after the Monica affair. It's a horrible realization, but its true. I also think a lot of people have issues with her because she is direct (again, this goes back to her being a woman) . She tells things as they are and doesn't sugar coat them, which if she was a man would totally be acceptable. But as a woman, people expect you to be soft. I see it all the time in what I do, and so does my sister and it's disgusting.

message 34: by Rach (new) - added it

Rach Absolutely. We are taught how to 'play the game'. Smile a lot, couch our directions softly, 'is it ok if you finish that paper by tonight?', make it look like it was the mans idea, give lots of validation, work for others, not for your own ambition etc etc. Directness in a woman is still a vice, not a virtue. What is seen as direct and assertive in a man is seen as shrill and aggressive in a woman.
Sigh. There is a long way to go.
Personally, I will treasure this book. I loved the quotes, I loved her message, and I will be so happy to see her continue to contribute in meaningful and important ways.

message 36: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn Caglio Love, love, love this review, MJ! Can't wait to crack open the book.

message 37: by May (new) - rated it 5 stars

May MJ, I love your review! May I ask where you are taking this potent, pent up furor? ONWARD TOGETHER!!!

message 38: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Fantastic review! I'm with you and with Hillary !

message 39: by Nasty Lady MJ (last edited Sep 23, 2017 03:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nasty Lady MJ May wrote: "MJ, I love your review! May I ask where you are taking this potent, pent up furor? ONWARD TOGETHER!!!"

To my polling place obviously :) And I also have been donating income to good causes that have been getting hit by this administration and budget cuts in general.

message 40: by Deanna (new)

Deanna I can't wait to read this!! Awesome review!!

message 41: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn Great review!

message 42: by Kara (new)

Kara I've been thinking about reading this book
now I voted for Bernie first but when it came to trump and Hilary I voted for Clinton. I couldn't think of any reason for anyone to ever vote for trumo. thank you for your review. I'll be sure to pick it up soon!

Nasty Lady MJ Ben wrote: "Great review, and I love Hillary as both a role model and a politician. But please don't help to normalize the term "mansplaining". It's horribly offensive and suggests that men don't have valid po..."

Try being a woman then you would understand why the word mansplaining exists You telling me not to use it is a perfect explanation of why we have the term mansplaining exists in the first place.

message 44: by Nasty Lady MJ (last edited Sep 30, 2017 02:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nasty Lady MJ Ben wrote: "By the way, I didn't TELL you not to use anything. I politely asked you. Don't over dramatize. It makes you look childish. Would you like to be treated like a child? Because the word is stupid."

Goodbye, Ben. Again, you are belittling me. I do not like being belittled. This is my space, my review. And I've had enough of your mansplaining. Oh, and if you actually read this book you would see that there was a whole chapter discussing mansplaining which you are doing, you asshole. Maybe if you were a woman who worked in an industry dominated by men where sexism is blatant you'd understand why the term exist. Alas, you were privilege enough to be born with a y chromosome and are not told on a daily basis that you need to smile, that you are too direct and not soft enough, and how you are either dressed is not sexy enough or too sexy.

Oh, but noting sexism makes me rude and childish. Fuck you.

And yes, you did tell me not to use the word mansplain just because you put please in front of it does not change the fucking message. I can read through the lines, buddy.

And on that note, adios and welcome to the block list.

Nenia ✨ Queen of Literary Trash, Protector of Out-of-Print Gems, Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Mother of Smut, the Unrepentant, Breaker of Convention ✨ Campbell Nasty Lady MJ wrote: "MomToKippy wrote: "You are really cool MJ. Block, censor and delete those who disagree. Sounds familiar - in Nazi Germany for example."

No, I am not curtailing your right to free speech just becau..."

I had someone accuse me of censorship for deleting their comments on one of my reviews too. People don't seem to realize what censorship is.

message 46: by Nasty Lady MJ (last edited Sep 30, 2017 07:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nasty Lady MJ Andy wrote: "Oh no! Did Ben trigger you? How about this, head on out to your Gender Studies class on Monday, sit in the round, and have a discussion about how the mean CIS male oppressed you over the weekend wh..."

Oh hai, Ben err...Andy saw your profile was just created recently and you only have two friends. One who is Ben...hmm....guess you didn't know how to block me. But I returned the favor.

My ego it soshot based on your degrading me as a woman because apparently heartless self absorbed bitch me can't attract attention from a man according to you. There must be nothing else for me in life....

Oh, woo is me .

Yeah, your post shows what a POS you are. I guess little old me who has a vagina is suppose to look up to all those big men who build things, never mind a woman could be working those jobs too, asshole.

And again, your post and your friend Ben's post show why the term mansplaining exist.

Nasty Lady MJ Nenia *The Flagrant Liberal* wrote: "Nasty Lady MJ wrote: "MomToKippy wrote: "You are really cool MJ. Block, censor and delete those who disagree. Sounds familiar - in Nazi Germany for example."

No, I am not curtailing your right to ..."

I swear I wish there was a way to freeze comments for certain threads, this is getting a little ridiculous.

Nenia ✨ Queen of Literary Trash, Protector of Out-of-Print Gems, Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Mother of Smut, the Unrepentant, Breaker of Convention ✨ Campbell Nasty Lady MJ wrote: "Nenia *The Flagrant Liberal* wrote: "Nasty Lady MJ wrote: "MomToKippy wrote: "You are really cool MJ. Block, censor and delete those who disagree. Sounds familiar - in Nazi Germany for example."

N..."

I mean, I guess you could always set your comments privacy to friends-only... but then you lose out on a lot of the valuable discourse you get from non-friends and non-followers who haven't done anything wrong. It really sucks.

I'm sorry you're getting trolled MJ. :(

Nasty Lady MJ Ugh, I'll get over it. I am just mad about the blatant gross sexism and personal insults that's being thrown around today. Though, I'm like 99% sure Ben and Andy are the same person who has way too much time in his momma's basement. But still. I'm at the point now I'm just flagging comments that are inappropriate.

message 50: by John (new) - added it

John R Yes, Nasty Lady M.J. I liked your comment. I am going to have to read "What Happened;" whether the print edition or the audio-book. I can understand why you are in a bad mood. Hillary should have won-in fact she DID win the popular vote. I listen to the news, and I keep thinking about how much more effective and skilled she would have been in certain policy areas. For example, Obama care would not have been under threat. There would not be this list of banned countries. There would be no attempts to water down the laws on lesbian and gay marriage, and the disgusting neo-Nazi rally in Charlottesville would have been condemned for what it was. I do actually think that war with North Korea is more likely now under Trump. Yes, I do want to read this book, and I am going to post a review of it when I am finished.

« previous 1