Juushika's Reviews > Sister Light, Sister Dark

Sister Light, Sister Dark by Jane Yolen

liked it
bookshelves: genre-fantasy, genre-mg-and-ya, status-borrowed

The origin story of a prophesied destroyer/savior to a society of female warriors. This is told via straight narration, but also through fictional folklore, ballads, myths, and via modern historical academic analysis, and that meta-narrative is the highlight of the book. It isn't always successful--the modern sections are an academic pastiche with a grating tone--but the cumulative effect functions to contextualize and deconstruct the otherwise unremarkable tropes as well as the story's feminist themes, creating a story about stories, about history, about cultural perceptions and mythic archetypes. The story underneath that structure is only okay--the chosen one is a tired trope, even when reinvented--but Yolen's balance of a private coming of age and a prophetic origin story has a pleasant rhythm. I didn't fall in love with this, and I'm not compelled to read the sequels (especially as I'm under the impression that the direct sequel tones down the meta-narrative), but I found this reasonably satisfying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sister Light, Sister Dark.

Started Reading