Sarah ~Sehrenity~'s Reviews > Fox Five

Fox Five by Zoë Sharp

Sep 11, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2011

Fans of Zoe Sharp’s Charlie Fox series will not be disappointed in this e-anthology. For readers who have not yet met the character through Sharp’s full-length novels, this anthology will be a perfect introduction. The stories work well as standalones, filling in part of the action between the books without giving away details that would spoil them.

This collection includes five short stories: four following Charlie herself, and one following a character moving through Charlie’s world. Throughout, Sharp’s crisp, intelligent writing, clever turns of phrase, and brisk plotting kept me thoroughly engaged. I love books that have strong leading characters; it’s what makes things interesting for me.

Charlie is the very definition of a strong leading character. She’s no-nonsense, smart, and tough. I love that she has both brains and brawn, but knows that brains should always come first. She’s observant. She’s able to improvise. She knows when to act. But most of all, she’s human. Charlie may encounter and participate in some very violent situations, but she never revels in the violence, and she always understands the cost. I think that the story “Truth and Lies” perfectly exemplifies all the facets of this character that I love, so please check it out.

Highly recommended for fans of strong female leads, action, and solid mystery.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fox Five.