Stephanie Allen's Reviews > Assimilate or Go Home: Notes from a Failed Missionary on Rediscovering Faith

Assimilate or Go Home by D.L. Mayfield

liked it
bookshelves: spirituality

This is a thoughtful, brutally honest, convicting and profoundly refreshing read, especially for those of us who grew up in more evangelical Christian churches were "evangelism" and "missions" were presented in one-dimensional ways. I greatly related to Danielle's deep desire to see the world and help others in the name of Christ, even from a young age. I further relate to how baffled she was when she slowly realized that "knowing" more was not enough.

Her painstaking journeys into the lives of her refugee neighbors both fascinated and pained me. How much deep suffering, loneliness and desperation in being planted into a new place. Her spiritual authenticity in continuing to be teachable throughout her experiences was also heartening. She emulates so many aspects of Christianity and "life together" that we prefer to neglect for the sake of comfort and convenience. She takes that discomfort, owns it and lives into it. She fails many, many times, but she gets back up with more humility and grit that before. I greatly enjoyed bearing witness to her "rediscovery" and will be thinking about this book for a long time.

My reasons for not rating this book higher are as follows: 1) the quality of the writing was not that great; good, but not great; 2) there was quite little in regard to organizaiton of the book; she jumped back and forth between living in Portland and living on the East Coast, before and after having kids, getting married, etc. and this was confusing; and 3) there were a few too many episodes that had the tone of chastising/ranting and seemed a little self-righteous. Overall, good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assimilate or Go Home.

July 27, 2017 – Started Reading