Mary Pat's Reviews > The Wisdom of Finance: Discovering Humanity in the World of Risk and Return

The Wisdom of Finance by Mihir Desai

Appealing to a wide variety of audiences -- it makes core financial concepts comprehensible for non-finance people, and it connects finance people with a broader view from the humanities. Desai takes a denigrated subject, even by some of its own practitioners, and makes it more human (with all the bad and good that entails.) He uses examples from history, literature, art, poetry, movies, TV, and even song lyrics (She take my money when I'm in need...)

For those concerned: VERY LITTLE MATH. There is a small amount of arithmetic when Desai explains leverage. But other than that, he keeps it at a high conceptual level.

This book is more a jumping off point, though - it's very short. It gives you a taste, which may leave one hungering for more. I listened to the audiobook (read by the author himself), and therefore don't have the notes from the back! So I'm going to have to get a hard copy so I can get at those. I really want to read more about how annuities helped foment the French Revolution.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wisdom of Finance.

July 27, 2017 – Started Reading