Amber's Reviews > Terminally Beautiful

Terminally Beautiful by Christy Leigh Stewart

Sep 11, 2011

bookshelves: fiction, gender-issues, romance, humor, sad-depressing
Read in September, 2011

When I finished reading Terminally Beautiful I was speechless. Then as I tried to think of something to say my mind fired off: Mindfuck. Disturbing. Bizarre. Oddly touching and sincere.

The characters in Terminally Beautiful are like living embodiments of deep-seated insecurities, neuroses, and psychoses (that most people have to some extent, but try to bury and/or ignore) magnified to the extreme and laid bare for all to see.

As always, the wit and dark humor often associated with Christy's writing are present, but seem more sparse and subtle than in previous works. The result is a book far more thought provoking than humorous, which isn't a bad thing. I feel like this book shows a more serious and mature side to Christy's writing, a facet that we haven't seen explored very much in her previous works (which were just as enjoyable, but in a different way).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Terminally Beautiful.

09/11/2011 page 16
18.0% "Wait...Is Anna not a biological female? Or is her nature-given vagina so hideous that she's somehow not a female because of it???"
09/11/2011 page 25
28.0% "Ok. Anna *is* a transsexual after all, then."
09/11/2011 page 41
47.0% "Oh my gosh..."
09/11/2011 page 65
74.0% ""A boy took me on a date." / "That son of a bitch." -- LOL!"
09/11/2011 page 75
85.0% "...I think I'm gonna have to re-read this..."