Nancy's Reviews > Reckless

Reckless by Cornelia Funke

Sep 11, 2011

liked it
Read from September 11 to 12, 2011

Contrary to my star rating, I really did like this book. It was interesting and provided a new perspective on different and paranormal realms. I believe Cornelia Funke has an incredibly rich and vivid imagination and for that I can't help but show open admiration. My problem was simply information overload.

The protagonist is Jacob who has been going into Mirrorworld for 12 years. He disappears for a long time and hunts treasures while looking for his missing father. So the story begins with Jacob holding his brother, Will, who followed him into Mirrorworld and was attacked by the Goyl. Will is slowly turning into a Goyl and then Will's girlfriend shows up. It's a race against time to cure Will before he turns completely.

The book is action packed as every step or turn is riddled with danger and interest. We also stumble across Sleeping Beauty, the child-eating witch's house from Hansel and Gretel, a little bit of Snow White and a myriad of creatures that are brand new.

The description of this world, the deadly creatures, and fight scenes is complete and very well executed. For me, though, it was just too much new information. Jacob's been going into this world for 12 years so he's had other adventures that are touched upon and I feel like there's an inside joke I'm not getting because I wasn't there for that experience. This aspect does not disrupt the flow of the story or distract from the conflict. It just bugged me because I like to be in the center of in-the-know. I probably have control issues, too.

Excellent author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reckless.