Owlseyes's Reviews > What Happened

What Happened by Hillary Rodham Clinton

"When you lose to somebody who has 40% popularity, you don't blame other things -- Comey, Russia -- you blame yourself," Chuck Schumer

You lost it. You lost. Elizabeth Warren has a chance now, you don't. You lost. Blame the mainstream media which supported you; those papers that endorsed you; those who said your opponent would never win. You lost. Blame the fake polls up to the last minute of the election; check the 8th of November 2016 in The New York Times.

You may even blame Nate Silver and Comey and the Democratic Party infrastructure. Nevertheless, you lost. Still, you may blame Wikileaks . Yet, you lost. Right, blame Brexit. In the end, you lost.

(The Week, November 11, 2016)

Hillary Clinton to 'let her guard down' in candid 2016 election memoir
in: https://www.theguardian.com/books/201...

Democrats Fret as Clinton Book Rollout Looms
in: https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articl...

Clinton’s score-settling frustrates Democrats
In: http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/...

Hillary Clinton’s new book blasts Republicans and Russia. She’s 100 percent right.
in: https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...

The Strange Authenticity of Hillary Clinton
in: http://www.politico.com/magazine/stor...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happened.

July 27, 2017 – Shelved
September 14, 2017 – Shelved as: blame-electoral-college
October 4, 2017 – Shelved as: blame-europe-tribal-politics
October 17, 2017 – Shelved as: blame-farage
October 17, 2017 – Shelved as: 20-pounds-book-in-uk

Comments Showing 1-50 of 113 (113 new)

Anthony This is a place to comment about the book, not rehash an election. And, if we're taking facts, she won the popular vote by millions against Sanders and Trump.

message 2: by Owlseyes (last edited Jul 29, 2017 01:42AM) (new) - added it

Owlseyes I think this is a place where there's free speech; (I hope so); as for Hillary, true, she won the popular vote, yet she lost in the electoral college. By the way, the book IS about the election.

message 3: by Joanne (new) - added it

Joanne Poppenk Your country lost. Sad.

message 4: by Matthew (new) - added it

Matthew HIgaki The right to free speech is not the right to air one's opinion on any subject without criticism. The right is exclusively to be free of government censorship. Public condemnation, especially of an opinion or interpretation publicly argued, is a part and parcel of the implications of the right to the freedom of speech. In that sense Anthony is right to criticize Owlseyes for an inappropriate criticism of the book, which it appears as if Owlseyes has not actually taken the time to read, or if so, then not the time to consider. While the book is about the election, it is not about whether or not Clinton won. Everyone well understands that Clinton lost. The question is given the circumstances how was it, from her perspective, that she lost. Whether one is a partisan of Clinton or not, it is of note to find out how the GOP was railroaded against the entire elite of the party, and how Clinton's calculations lost. Some of this has to do with her political history, some of it has to do with the DNC's failures to understand the polity of the heartland, some of this has to do with the heartland turning away from the traditional political class, and some of it has to do with the classical vulnerabilities of popular republics to demagoguery, among other things. It is true that Clinton won the popular vote by a considerable margin, and that Trump (so far) has failed to enact any of his plank. That being said, Trump's problems mirror Obama's problems in corralling a big tent party with little to no political experience. A partisan of Trump would do very well to look closely at how the Obama administration learned to work with their party in the Congress and work to mimic those techniques. Critics of Trump on legislative grounds would do well to remember how Obama had a Democrat controlled Congress and couldn't pass the two pieces of legislation he actually campaigned on, healthcare and reorganizing the financial sector, and he struggled to get it passed as badly watered down measures that have mostly been unevenly successful.

But c'mon Owl. You gotta be more specific and on-point than merely pointing out that Clinton lost. Are you just gonna replay that tape for the next three and a half years while the administration backpedals and leaps headfirst into brick walls, as if that will solve the contemporary domestic and geopolitical debates? Cuz that's a recipe for a long-term ineffective governance, and a long-term decline in the informed citizenry that is the basic requirement for a functioning representative republic, and we need better than that.

message 5: by Owlseyes (last edited Aug 23, 2017 03:40PM) (new) - added it

Owlseyes Thanks Matthew for your imput; I followed very closely the 2016 election and my bookshelves (regarding this book) are specific enough, just in case you read them.

I'm almost twice your age; so, please, don't lecture me on politics.

Anyways, thanks again.

message 6: by Owlseyes (last edited Aug 24, 2017 06:14AM) (new) - added it

Owlseyes Joanne wrote: "Your country lost. Sad."

Why my nation?? has it been downgraded?? from 3rd world nation to 4th world??... maybe, the debt level is so high. Poor Portugal.

Oh! I've found something "sad" for you: The Economist issue of December 9th, 1995: the Obituary of a writer...; enjoy.

message 7: by David (last edited Aug 24, 2017 06:33AM) (new)

David Gustafson In a more perfect world, BOTH Hillary and Trump would have lost the election. In the meantime, listening to Pilloried Hillary gagging on the defeat she managed to snatch from the jaws of victory is an ongoing hoot.

message 8: by Owlseyes (new) - added it

Owlseyes Thanks David, for your take; I reckon the hootish sound....

message 9: by P.J. (last edited Aug 24, 2017 03:40PM) (new)

P.J. Sullivan She "lost" because of massive election fraud. She "lost" for the same reason that Al Gore "lost" and John Kerry "lost."

message 10: by Owlseyes (new) - added it

Owlseyes I don't agree, Sullivan, there's an equivalence in those 3 situations. Or, the type of "fraud" was different for each of those 3 elections. As for 2016, there are many instances---documented---of cheating by the Democrat Party.

message 11: by P.J. (new)

P.J. Sullivan The last legitimately-elected Republican president was Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1956.

message 12: by Owlseyes (last edited Aug 24, 2017 11:38PM) (new) - added it

Owlseyes Quite possible. As you may already know, Trump' s commission on fraudulent vote has been facing tough times. I would dare saying vote fraud is endemic, some states just don t cooperate.

message 13: by P.J. (last edited Aug 24, 2017 04:44PM) (new)

P.J. Sullivan Owlseyes wrote: "Well stated, Sullivan."

Vote fraud is very rare. Election fraud is rampant. Trump's commission was nothing more than an attempt to strike millions more eligible voters from the rolls, to make it harder for black, Hispanic, and liberal people to vote.

In the 2016 election millions of eligible voters were not counted because of Interstate Crosscheck. They were given provisional ballots and not told that provisional ballots are not counted unless the voter goes to the elections office within a few days to prove their identity and eligibility. Millions more votes were denied by voting machine hacking, partisan ID requirements, long lines at polls in Democratic districts, racist gerrymandering, etc. Not to mention the enormous media bias, which is what made Trump a viable candidate in the first place. It was a Jim Crow election, utterly fraudulent, utterly illegitimate.

message 14: by Owlseyes (new) - added it

Owlseyes Well stated, Sullivan.

message 16: by P.J. (new)

P.J. Sullivan Owlseyes wrote: "Well stated, Sullivan."

The EXIT polls said that Clinton won, because the EXIT polls counted provisional ballots, which were almost all legitimate votes.

message 17: by P.J. (new)

P.J. Sullivan Owlseyes wrote: "http://web.archive.org/web/2012021713..."

There is nothing wrong with updating voter rolls, but Trump and Kris Kobach cannot be trusted to do it.

message 18: by Owlseyes (new) - added it

Owlseyes Right, but she lost in the Electoral College. And some didn t like that, even proposing abolishing it.

message 19: by P.J. (last edited Aug 24, 2017 04:59PM) (new)

P.J. Sullivan Owlseyes wrote: "Right, but she lost in the Electoral College. And some didn t like that, even proposing abolishing it."

Yes, because fraud allowed Trump to take swing states by very narrow margins.

It was a coup d'etat, not an election.

message 20: by Owlseyes (last edited Aug 25, 2017 10:06AM) (new) - added it

Owlseyes Sullivan, from your sayings, one might conclude Fraud won. Yet the majority of vote was legitimate. Even being true that 3 million votes were cast by illegal aliens in 2016, or that in 2008 that number reached 5.7 million /illegal immigrants. Still the majority is legal voting.

A lot has to be done to correct/punish fraud. I'm recalling the dirty work Scott Foval did for the DNC, ....and G. Soros; those should be prosecuted and locked up.

As to the allegation of Trump wining by fraud, I have my doubts; he was the one pushing for clarification and asking [Trump's voter fraud commission] for a bunch of data from voters; yet several states either denied the "fraud problem" or didn't provide any of the information; at the top: California and New York.

-coup d'État? hardly. By whom? By a guy hardly supported by the Republican party at the onset; and hardly fought against in the primaries (do you recall Romney's attempt to oust/denigrate Trump?)? Trump's case is unique in the American history.

Just one question, Sullivan; you picked 3 Democrat candidates who lost the presidential elections, does that mean that when a Republican candidate loses there's no fraud? (Or when a Democrat wins, again, there's no fraud?)

message 21: by P.J. (last edited Aug 25, 2017 11:25AM) (new)

P.J. Sullivan Virtually no votes were cast by illegal aliens. ZERO votes. Illegals are afraid to vote, for fear of being deported. As I said before, voter fraud is very rare. ELECTION fraud is the problem. Trump's commission was nothing more than a scam to remove more legitimate voters from the voting lists. His commission was itself a fraud. States were right to refuse to co-operate with it.

If a man in Boston moves to California, he may be registered to vote in both places. Do we really believe that he voted in California, then caught a plane to Boston so he could vote there? Double voting is extremely rare.

I'm sure there was fraud on the Democratic side too, but very little by comparison. It was Republican fraud that was decisive. The Republican party represents the interests of only 1% to 2% of the population. How could Republicans possibly win an honest election? Democrats represent the best interests of many more voters. Republicans need fraud to survive; Democrats do not.

message 22: by Owlseyes (last edited Aug 25, 2017 01:12PM) (new) - added it

Owlseyes Sorry, I just don't agree with you.
Check on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUDTc...
[HIDDEN CAM: NYC Democratic Election Commissioner, "They Bus People Around to Vote"]

and this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hslq...
[Voter Fraud! DemocRATs Caught Stuffing Ballot Boxes, Disgusting!]

and this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3Uuq...
[This Man Proves Voting Machines Were Rigged in Every Hillary Win]

and: https://www.youtube.com/watchv=xW4Wca...
[BREAKING: GEORGE SOROS RIGGED VOTING MACHINES IN THESE 16 STATES! IS YOUR STATE ON THE LIST?]

Honesty???
Give me a break, please.

message 23: by P.J. (last edited Aug 25, 2017 04:34PM) (new)

P.J. Sullivan Fake news. Google GREG PALAST.

If it is true, as you say, that Democrats cheated, why do Republicans control every branch of government? While representing the interests of only 1% of the voting population? It was Republican fraud that was decisive. The most popular candidate in the 2016 election was Bernie Sanders. The least popular candidate, probably in U.S. history, was Trump. How can you call that an honest democratic election?

message 24: by Owlseyes (new) - added it

Owlseyes I see now, Sullivan, you voted for Hillary, right?

message 25: by Owlseyes (new) - added it

Owlseyes You too are at loss.

message 26: by P.J. (last edited Aug 25, 2017 08:22PM) (new)

P.J. Sullivan No, I have never voted for anyone named Clinton. I voted for Sanders in the primary, for Stein in the general election.

message 27: by Owlseyes (new) - added it

Owlseyes At loss, still. Thrice: Sanders, Stein....AND the RECOUNT. I can understand how you feel.

message 28: by P.J. (new)

P.J. Sullivan Owlseyes wrote: "At loss, still. Thrice: Sanders, Stein....AND the RECOUNT. I can understand how you feel."

The whole planet is at loss from the Trump presidency.

message 29: by Owlseyes (last edited Aug 28, 2017 06:06AM) (new) - added it

Owlseyes I still don't understand how you're still a democrat, since you really reject [loath?] the (DEMOCRAT!) Clinton couple; maybe they didn't do a good job....; and still, BERNIE SANDERS ENDORSED HILLARY.

message 30: by P.J. (new)

P.J. Sullivan Owlseyes wrote: "I still don't understand how you're still a democrat, since you really reject [loath?] the (DEMOCRAT!) Clinton couple; maybe they didn't do a good job....; and still, BERNIE SANDERS ENDORSED HILLARY."

I an not "still a Democrat." I'm an Independent, have been for years.

message 31: by Owlseyes (last edited Aug 29, 2017 09:48AM) (new) - added it

Owlseyes Got it; an Independent, who can vote in the primaries of the Democrat party; an Independent, with a Socialist twinkle/flavor.

message 32: by P.J. (last edited Aug 29, 2017 12:17PM) (new)

P.J. Sullivan One does not need to be a Democrat to lament the election of Donald Trump. He is—and will be—a disaster for everyone on the planet. The election of anyone by fraudulent means ought to be a serious concern.

message 33: by Greg (new)

Greg Brozeit The proper English is Democratic Party.

message 34: by Owlseyes (new) - added it

Owlseyes Thanks Greg; I'll be careful not to say Republicant Party, now on.

message 35: by Owlseyes (new) - added it

Owlseyes A new explanation about what really happened:

I guess it's Japanese, the title....,right?

message 36: by Casus•Belli (new)

Casus•Belli What a dumbass that Sullivan guy is. Typical of a freeloading, waste of life, commie Bernie supporter. Trump was the best thing that could have happened. Now he will be ending DACA, and we can rest easy from this madness. BTW, they just arrested some Democrits who were registering dead people as votes, as well as Chicago and parts of California they found more votes than voters. How the hell do these leftist governments stay in power in Europe as well. Most Swedes support the Sweden Democrats but yet they have less MPs than the two globalist, corruption parties? It boggles the mind.

message 37: by Owlseyes (last edited Sep 04, 2017 10:42AM) (new) - added it

Owlseyes Holy Lord Kek wrote: "What a dumbass that Sullivan guy is. Typical of a freeloading, waste of life, commie Bernie supporter. Trump was the best thing that could have happened. Now he will be ending DACA, and we can rest..."

Lord [!] Kek,

Thanks for your take on Bernie ...and fraud by the american left-wing. As for Europe, things are a little bit more complicated because you have an European Parliament, but also national parliaments. The left lives on; I speak for my nation, which has a left wing COALITION governing. Yes, in Europe, coalitions are the "order of the day", so to speak. Take the case of Germany: last Sunday debate between CDU Merkel vs. Social-democrat Schulz showed this: as they are part of the present Government coalition they cannot hammer each other that much; sure, there were some differences regarding refugees policy. Don't forget: "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours"; that's the assumed motto for coalitions. I'm glad there are other political parties.

As for Sweden, though not being an expert, the Social [Welfare] State has got to live, so, that explains why the right wing will never prosper, as in other nations.

Brexit is an exception in Europe. A good one.
PS No, there's no "excess of democracy" in the UK; in my view.

message 38: by P.J. (last edited Sep 04, 2017 10:21AM) (new)

P.J. Sullivan Holy Lord Kek wrote: "What a dumbass that Sullivan guy is. Typical of a freeloading, waste of life, commie Bernie supporter. Trump was the best thing that could have happened. Now he will be ending DACA, and we can rest..."

Name calling is the last refuge of people who have no legitimate arguments.

message 39: by Casus•Belli (new)

Casus•Belli Owl, let me tell you something about Bernie Sanders: he is a fraud and a phony. He is a globalist jew who would have America in 3rd world status a few months ahead of Clinton. Bern was asked by an interviewer how he will implement his social programs because even the top 1% don't have enough to cover the expense. He admitted that it will have to be more than the top 1% to be taxed. Basically, his initiatives would tax anyone with a job at approximately 50% to 60%. This is bordering on communism. The top 1% will be okay anyway. Their money is liquid and in properties. They are not afraid. Do you think the corporate news would give Sanders any voice if he was not serving their interests. Sanders wants to give citizenship to illegal aliens even though many hate America and are involved in criminality. He also wants to bring in more freeloaders from the Middle East who will further strain our welfare system. His trade pacts will only further the interests of Canada and Mexico. He will try to create a sort of North American currency like the EU and eliminate borders. The current NAFTA agreement has done so much damage and created so much poverty in US and Mexico that furthering this agreement in any way will only create more bureaucracy and destruction on a national consciousness that is vital to prosperity. Trump has pulled us out of TPP and the Paris agreement. He is also renegotiating NAFTA amongst other bogus deals and going after fraud, waste, and abuse. The fake news media is such an utter embarrassment. They just lie and lie. The funny thing is that these scum like Sanders, Clinton, Hollande, etc...go after the 1%. Why don't they create the conditions so that capital can be more easily spread around? They are lying, corrupt bastards, that's why. Look who France elected: another POS. I guess these poor lost souls in Europe won't get it until their backs are against the wall and they will have to fight for their lives.

message 40: by Owlseyes (last edited Sep 06, 2017 05:27AM) (new) - added it

Owlseyes Thanks Kek, the Lord, for your take. We all know about Bernie's sympathy for Sandinista Nicaragua and Cuba; we d/won't forget.

As for the EU fat cats, we'll see; how Macron and Merkel (or any other German, past September 24th) will hold the EU crumbling empire.

message 41: by P.J. (new)

P.J. Sullivan Sanders' single-payer health care program would cost less than what we pay now, by eliminating parasitical insurance companies. His free college program would pay for itself in the long run, just as the G.I. Bill did, in higher income tax revenues.

Why shouldn't Sanders respect the rights of Sandinistas to rule Nicaragua and of Cubans to rule Cuba? Imperialistic Americans have no right to be trespassing in these sovereign nations.

message 42: by Owlseyes (last edited Sep 06, 2017 12:38PM) (new) - added it

Owlseyes Sullivan, pardon me, I have a recommendation for you: move to socialist paradise Venezuela; over there you'll find plenty on health and education support, like nowhere else, right?? Chavez forethought about that; Chomsky too. Yankees won't bother you.

And yet, I've read you've lived in Spain and England; I pity you didn't live in the Soviet Union...or Albania, or....any East European nation under communism.

I'm so glad the Berlin Wall fell...aren't you?

message 43: by P.J. (new)

P.J. Sullivan I thought you were above red baiting, Owlseyes. Bernie Sanders is not a Communist, and neither am I. There is nothing wrong with health and education support. America has a serious inequality problem and Sanders is part of the solution. Trump is only making it worse.

message 44: by Laura (new)

Laura I wanted Hilary to win the election

message 45: by P.J. (new)

P.J. Sullivan Laura wrote: "I wanted Hilary to win the election"

Actually, she did win, if you count the provisional ballots.

message 46: by Laura (last edited Sep 06, 2017 02:32PM) (new)

Laura Yes, I know. That is true.

message 47: by Owlseyes (last edited Sep 06, 2017 02:51PM) (new) - added it

Owlseyes P.J. wrote: "I thought you were above red baiting, Owlseyes. Bernie Sanders is not a Communist, and neither am I. There is nothing wrong with health and education support. America has a serious inequality probl..."

I didn't write he 's a communist; I spoke about his sympathy. He calls himself a democratic socialist. But let's not forget his essay's words: "These days, the American dream is more apt to be realized in South America, in places such as Ecuador, Venezuela
and Argentina, where incomes are actually more equal today than they are in the land of Horatio Alger.”

Sullivan, why don't you comment [a bit, please] on present-day Venezuela?

message 48: by P.J. (last edited Sep 25, 2018 11:43AM) (new)

P.J. Sullivan I am not up-to-date on Venezuela. Never been there. It is irrelevant to the current discussion. The chaos in Latin America is typically caused by right-wing Americans and international bankers, not by Democratic Socialists like Sanders. There is oil wealth in Venezuela. That is the source of the conflict there, as Americans try to grab it. American sanctions are causing the chaos in Venezuela and elsewhere in Latin America, and they are not coming from Democratic Socialists. I have a friend in Nicaragua who says that the American media have everything backwards. They demonize socialism because they are owned by billionaires. Don't be misled by biased media sources.

message 49: by Casus•Belli (new)

Casus•Belli Meathead, how do you think Canada likes their single-payer? Most hate it. Canadial politicians have been looking into moving to the more American, insurance provided system. Canadians have to spend days, sometimes even weeks in the hospital until some bureaucrat will sign off on their treatment. It will be interesting now that all the freeloader, welfare recipients are fleeing Trump's America for Trudeau's abysmal government...how their policies will be instituted. Trudeau will inevitably raise taxes to provide all these numbskulls with any and all crap that they demand. Look at Obamacare. They actually expect tax dollars to go to sex change surgery. Friggin socialism! As far as free tuition goes: it's actually nothing like the GI Bill. The GI Bill stipulations vary depending on what years of service you enlisted and what agreements you made with your recruiter; but nontheless, it is not a completely free education. If you want to go to private school, like Ivy League, the GI Bill will not cover such a large, expensive education on their own. I'm not sure how your government education goes, but the VA operates outside of the government as is for deserving veterans, not the schlubs of Antifa. There is sense there that if people don't have to pay back tuition fees, there is more to spend and more educated people; but it of coarse will have downsides, like nobody to do more menial job. It's always taking from Peter and giving to Paul, as if that is a solition.

Owl, the communists will always say that these countries like Venezuela or Cuba are just not doing it right. Or they will blame Western interference on such and such. Most say that Stalin had it right; so what does that tell you about their mindset? Marxism/Communism is a Jewish phenomena. Jews despise European history and culture. Read Marx, Adorno, Horkheimer, etc...they then gather these losers of the state and brainwash them into believing ridiculous crap about colonialism, racism, inequality...what have you. Like sheep to a flock, they want to remove all monuments to these so called, "oppressors". They want equality. Of coarse to these people, they are fulfilled with their fight against oppression as they are losers and have no other reason for existing. The human psyche however cannot endure without a call higher than just mere creeds. Then the losers and those who battle for the individual soul will come to battle for the state of humankind.

message 50: by P.J. (last edited Sep 06, 2017 08:20PM) (new)

P.J. Sullivan O Holy One, I do not waste time arguing with people who insult me. Your attitude puts you beyond reach. So I'm out.

« previous 1 3