Brittany (The Crafty Engineer's Bookshelf)'s Reviews > An Earl for the Archeress

An Earl for the Archeress by E. Elizabeth Watson

F 50x66
This is an excellent retelling of Robin Hood. Mariel is trying to escape her abusive father who promises her to an old Earl who acts the same as he does. She runs away with no money and decides to enter an archery contest as a boy to try to win some. She goes arrow for arrow with Robert, the Earl of Huntington, and the contest is unfairly given to him. Robert is intrigued and becomes even more so when he discovers she isn't a boy. As their relationship develops, he realizes he will do whatever it will take to keep her safe.

I enjoyed this book for the most part. I got annoyed at Mariel for running away because of every little thing. I understand not trusting men because of what happened with her father but I felt that she also wasn't standing up for herself by just running away like that. I love that Robert didn't let her just run away. He had patience enough to slowly break down her walls. I do like the originality in the way this retelling is done and thought it was a nice spin on it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Earl for the Archeress.

July 25, 2017 – Started Reading