Sarah's Reviews > Microserfs

Microserfs by Douglas Coupland

bookshelves: fiction, library-book, wells-library, ensemble, coming-of-age, autobiographical-fiction

A snapshot of a time not so long ago, these people are familiar, even if I was never one of them. They are filled, despite their constant craving for some "life" they insist they do not have, with optimism and joy. I don't think I view the modern tech world with that kind of hope and so the whole story reads like one of a bunch of rosy faced kids who have the luxury of not knowing about the current hell world the Internet is today. Oh, for that dream of the nineties!

See, so, at one point, Daniel (the narrator) explains another character's obsession over this device called an "answering machine." He is always anxious to see if he has messages, so he checks it with a zealous frequency. Meditating on this habit, Daniel envisions a world where we are all connected all the time, with no need to check messages or remember things because it will be all available to us automatically. He imagines this to be a key toward ultimate common understanding and peace.

He's just so adorable, I want to squish his naive little cheeks!

Anyway, I enjoyed this little piece of diary work probably more than I should have because it allowed me to live vicariously in this era that I let pass me by while I, I don't know, watched cartoons and read terrible fantasy novels. Also, as I've mentioned before, I'm a sucker for ensembles. At the beginning, Daniel gives us the run down on his housemates and I worried that that would be the end of each of these characters' development as I struggled to remember all of their names, but by the end of the first part, they are all distinct and memorable people.

And then it had a sobby ending which came out of that ol' left field. It's not a sad ending, so don't worry about that. I just didn't expect this book about wo/man-children to be capable of eliciting anything other than a knowing arch of the eyebrow. So, good job, Douglas! Maybe there was a reason I read your Eleanor Rigby, twice, in a row, after all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Microserfs.

July 27, 2017 – Shelved