Erin's Reviews > What Happened

What Happened by Hillary Rodham Clinton

bookshelves: september-2017

I ended up liking What Happened more than I thought I would. I thought it would be boring because quite frankly I find Hillary Clinton to be boring. I wasn't though, it was surprisingly entertaining and made me like her a little more. She spends way more time talking about her family, friends, and upbringing, than about the most shocking and upsetting political loss in history. I personally think Hillary Clinton is leading a far more full life than had she been elected. The American people are worse off but Hillary is fine.

Full Disclosure: I voted for her. I'm a black woman so Why in HELL would I vote a racist?

I voted for her because there was no other choice. I'm happy I voted for her and everyday I feel better about my vote.

I'm not going to recommend this book to anyone because I find its hard to find people who don't already have a preconceived notion about Hillary or any politician. I don't really understand why someone who hates Hillary would read this, unless they just enjoy being mad. At the end of the day Hillary is rich and has really great health insurance. Do you?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happened.

July 27, 2017 – Shelved
July 27, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
September 17, 2017 – Started Reading
page 39
7.62% "I gotta say, Hillary is living my dream life. Yoga classes, drinking Chardonnay, seeing Broadway shows, eating at fancy restaurants, and talking to Obama.

Damn it! Even when she loses she still wins : )"
page 59
11.52% "Does anyone else find it funny that Bill & Hill sit around binge watching The Good Wife?"
page 111
21.68% "I want Hillary to start a bookclub. Or at least join Goodreads ."
page 146
28.52% "Like myself Hillary has an intense love of hot sauce and jalapeños."
page 173
33.79% "Bill may be an adulterer but his most unforgivable offense is that he rearranges Hillary's bookshelves without permission."
page 243
47.46% "Hillary Refuses to Give Every American a Pony.

#Ponygate"
page 263
51.37% "Hillary says she plans to live long enough to see a woman elected President.

I'm in my 30's and I'm not gonna live long enough to see that Hill."
page 325
63.48% "Lock Her Up!!"
page 359
70.12% "The American media should be ashamed of themselves."
page 391
76.37% "Mourning in America"
page 430
83.98% "Love does not Trump hate"
September 19, 2017 – Shelved as: september-2017
September 19, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Joint This is a great review and the last part made me laugh. I have no idea why people are one starring without reading this or bothering to read it when they hate her. I'm not going to read a Trump book, ya know? I'm glad it surpassed your expectations.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Masterson Great review, Erin! I voted for her, too! I'm also listening to the audiobook and I want to have coffee and chitchat with her now! Lol!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

message 4: by LaDonna (new) - added it

LaDonna Erin, you can recommend a book to me anytime!! I may have to give this a try. Great review!!

Erin Sarah wrote: "This is a great review and the last part made me laugh. I have no idea why people are one starring without reading this or bothering to read it when they hate her. I'm not going to read a Trump boo..."

Erin LaDonna wrote: "Erin, you can recommend a book to me anytime!! I may have to give this a try. Great review!!"

I hope you do LaDonna.

message 7: by Erin (last edited Sep 19, 2017 07:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin paulie wrote: "nicely said, erin! again, i truly enjoy yr reading range. i've annotated the title in my head to include t and f."

Haha! Yes that's what i would have named it.

Erin Yes Jennifer I think it really humanized her. Too bad she couldnt be this open during the campaign.

Ashley Love your review, Erin! I can't wait to crack this one open.

message 10: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin Ashley wrote: "Love your review, Erin! I can't wait to crack this one open."

I hope you like it or at least come to a better understanding of last years election.

message 11: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Erin wrote: "I feel like people just enjoy being negative. I dont know what they get out of it but people enjoy living in anger.

So true! what an exhausting way for people to live. I don't get it either.

Great review. I want to check this out now :)

message 12: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin Thanks Deanna! Its a really good read. I think you'll like it.

Barbara Erin, your review was wonderful and funny. Just wanted to say thank you.

message 14: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin Aww! Thanks Barbara!

message 15: by Mark (new)

Mark Awesome teview Erin. I would have voted for her too because let's face it, Trump is a narcissistic, racist imbecile but alas I couldn't because I am Australian 😔

message 16: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin Thanks Mark! You're lucky to be an Australian and not have to deal with having a leader who is dangerously unwell and unstable.

Nenia ✨ Queen of Literary Trash, Protector of Out-of-Print Gems, Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Mother of Smut, the Unrepentant, Breaker of Convention ✨ Campbell Great review, Erin! Your review was short but you brought up a lot of great points in it. :-) This health insurance nightmare is going to cause a lot of people to suffer. I really don't understand why health care is a partisan issue. You'd think that *everyone* would want our fellow human beings to be in good health. But apparently not...

message 18: by Erin (last edited Sep 30, 2017 06:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin Thanks Nenia! For a lot of Republicans tax breaks for multi millionaires is more important than making sure people have healthcare. Money is more important than people.

Andrew T. Garcia Same here. Surprised to find I like her more as a result of reading the book.

message 20: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin Andrew T. wrote: "Same here. Surprised to find I like her more as a result of reading the book."

It kinda makes you wonder what would have happened if she had shown her real self during the campaign?

Probably nothing but who knows.

message 21: by Donna (new) - added it

Donna Wolff Love the ending! Hahaha...

message 22: by Donna (new) - added it

Donna Wolff I would add, after reading the comments here, that most people haven't read the book. I think we can all agree there's plenty of liars who ran for president in 2016. And one sits in the White House now.

message 23: by Eric (new)

Eric Smith I ain't rich and I don't have insurance but I can sleep at night with a clear conscience, I doubt she can, all the unborn children,Bengazi, I dont hate her but would never in a million years have voted for her or anyone who supports the sick twisted policies of the far left...i guess we can agree to disagree

message 24: by Donna (new) - added it

Donna Wolff After 16 Congressional witchhunts and no evidence of any wrongdoing on the Secretary's part, Bengazi is becoming a lame excuse to hate. I support and defend the 4th Amendment to the Constitution, therefore, I support a woman's right to privacy in medical matters. Why would anyone come onto this page if they have not read the book? Haters gotta hate?

message 25: by Eric (new)

Eric Smith Discerners gotta discern is more accurate I don't hate her. I believe the government should stay out of medical matters unless precious human life is at stake, murder is illegal in all other cases, blood on the alter of choice, and I only came her because I had a friend request from someone who reviewed this so I was checking it out.

Sheba Family Love your review. It made me like her more too.

message 28: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin Sheba wrote: "Love your review. It made me like her more too."

Thanks Sheba!

Phuong You're hilarious haha. I love your honest review and sass.

message 30: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin Phuong wrote: "You're hilarious haha. I love your honest review and sass."

Thanks!

Monica I liked Hillary before this book and I like her even more after the book. I also very much like your review!!

message 32: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin Thank you Monica!

message 33: by Ana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ana Ruiz Hi, I just would like to point out that it's a little bit sexist to find it agreeable in a woman that she spends a lot of time talking about friends, family and so on than the actual reason that she is writing this book. Good review besides that.

message 34: by Dean (new)

Dean Monica wrote: "I liked Hillary before this book and I like her even more after the book. I also very much like your review!!"

I can't believe that ladies of color are falling for this ! Read this article and enlighten yourselves :

Monica Dean wrote: "I can't believe that ladies of color are falling for this ! Read this ..."

So Erin, I'm not sure but I think this guy is trying to suggest that all "ladies of color" think exactly the same and in the same breath is telling us what we should think. Is that "mansplaining" or "whitesplaining"? Also, do you suppose he has read the book, or just this one article that apparently reinforces his chosen point of view.

message 36: by Dean (last edited Mar 04, 2018 01:36PM) (new)

Dean Monica wrote: "Dean wrote: "I can't believe that ladies of color are falling for this ! Read this ..."

Negative ; none of the above. ( You are not in this world to live up to my expectations , after all . ) I merely thought that you might be open to persuasion by a lady of color that lives in the real world ; apparently not . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michell... Please consider this : I took you for a woman of intellect rather than a blatant crackpot . I was obviously quite mistaken.

message 38: by Dean (new)

Dean Nenia ✨ Queen of Literary Trash, Protector of Out-of-Print Gems, Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Mother of Smut, the Unrepentant, Breaker of Convention ✨ wrote: "^^^ Let the gaslighting commence! ^^^"

When all else fails just play the victim ( like Shillary ) !

message 39: by Lori (new)

Lori I loved your review, Erin!

message 40: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin Thanks Lori!

message 41: by Renae (new)

Renae Awesome review - I very much enjoyed it

Elyse Walters Loved reading your review Erin ..love you!!!

message 43: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin Thank you Renae. Elyse you know I think you're the best.

message 44: by Bridget (last edited Aug 01, 2018 08:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bridget Although I personally take no issue with Hillary. All I know is what I see on t.v. And I know they lie/only tell partial truths with a lot of lies. When people would say something about trump, I'd try to find proof...and many times, they say he said something, I find video of it. I didnt always find it so I took much of it with a grain of salt and watched his actions (when I was watching the nonsense that was the 2016 elections). I just flat out dislike him. I actually like his wife. As far as other options, there was Jill Stein (who I wanted to vote for but chickened out due to fear of him winning, which he did) and some libertarian(spell check) guy. But I guess next time I'll know to just go with my heart regardless of what I think the outcome may be. One day though, I would love to sit down and just have a conversation with her. Not even about politics, just life. I really can't stand politics. I just get enough of what I need to make a decision.

Bridget Oh, I meant to say great review and I do have the book on my shelf and hope to get to it by the end of the year. :)

message 46: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars