Melanie's Reviews > The Art of Taming a Rake

The Art of Taming a Rake by Nicole Jordan

liked it
bookshelves: historical-romance, own-print

3.5 Stars!

The Art of Taming a Rake was an enjoyable read with a charming romance between a notorious rake and a scandal-ridden heroine.

Venetia Stratham is determined to protect her younger sister from scoundrels and sets out to stop Quinn Wilde, Earl of Traherne, from courting her by any means necessary. After Venetia pulls a gun on Quinn to convince him to stay away from her sister, a hidden enemy shoots Quinn causing Venetia to take the blame. To save her reputation, Quinn does the honorable thing and proposes to her. After finding themselves quickly wed, Quinn sets about trying to win over his new wife while attempting to figure out who is trying to kill him before Venetia ends up caught in the crossfire.

Venetia is a bold woman who always says what’s on her mind and is willing to stand up for herself. She has a tendency to act without thinking leading to some problems for her. When her betrothed showed up to their wedding still drunk and right from his mistress’s bed, Venetia calls off the wedding despite knowing it will cause a scandal. Now she is considered an outsider by society as well as her family, but she knows she did the right thing. Even after her fiancé’s betrayal, Venetia still believes in love and wants that for herself one day.

Quinn has quite the scandalous reputation and is considered by society to be a rake due to past behavior as well as some of the company he keeps. Quinn isn’t nearly as much of a rake as the gossip papers say but no one would be inclined to believe otherwise. Quinn is a very calm and collected person and he considers himself to be a bit of a scientist with a propensity to gamble. While he is devoted to his family and loves them dearly, he doesn’t believe in love for himself due to past experience.

Venetia and Quinn’s relationship gets off to an interesting start considering she’s there to warn him away from her sister. Venetia has resented Quinn for years as he was the one to deliver her betrothed to the wedding in his drunken condition. She holds on to her grudge against Quinn for quite some time over that and I felt she blamed him for a bit too long. I did like that Venetia was able to resist Quinn’s charms for so long despite her attraction to him and that she didn’t simply fall at his feet. When they do finally progress to a physical relationship, it’s quite steamy and very well done. While I wish things had been sped up slightly in that area, the sexual tension was fantastically done.

The plot surrounding who actually took a shot at Quinn at the beginning of the book was interesting at first, but lost a bit of steam as the book went on. There was a nice twist towards the end of the book that ramped up the tension which did help with the mystery aspect. The bad guy was one I didn’t expect and while I questioned his motives, he did end up being a convincing villain.

The Art of Taming a Rake ended up being a fun read, but wasn’t my favorite book in the Legendary Lovers series as I wasn’t fully invested in the couple. I did still like the book though and would recommend it in addition to the rest of the series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Taming a Rake.

July 26, 2017 – Shelved