Olivia's Reviews > Mortal Heart

Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers

bookshelves: favorites, all-time-favorites, reread, year-of-epic-reads
Read 2 times. Last read January 2, 2019 to January 4, 2019.

~ second read, January 2019 ~

I’ve officially finished my trilogy reread and I’m a mess of emotions. Although this one gets off to a slower start and has the same slower pacing as its predecessors, it’s freaking amazing. Annith has wonderful character development, going from a somewhat naïve girl that strived to please others to a complete badass who does what she wants. On top of that, the romance is positively swoon-worthy. I remembered bits and pieces from my first read and the slow burn was agonizing but also exquisite.

There were some twists I remembered, and those reveals made me happy. Then there were a few that I’d forgotten, and I was surprised as if I’d never read it before. Although it’s likely that that’s due to the time gap between my first and second reads and the number of books I read in that time, I think it also proves that these novels are great to reread. I see more rereads in my future.

Ismae, Sybella, and Annith are a fabulous trio and every scene they were in together was pure gold. I love the three of them so much. Don’t even get me started on their love interests because dang. If a gay girl says that, I think that’s a pretty good implication of the writer’s talent and the LIs’ personalities, just saying. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

”’Don’t you see? Your mortal heart shines like a candle flame and I … am helpless before its lure.’”

(The entire quote is lovely but I took out part of it to avoid any sort of spoilers.)

”Impossible things do happen. But only if we make them.”

That’s my favorite quote. I remembered it from my first time reading and it inspires me to this day.

I LOVE THESE BOOKS SO MUCH.

~ first read, July 2017 ~

Fourth book of the booktubeathon!

AHHHHHHH. ❤️💔

Okay, that's out of the way.

I absolutely loved this book. I was a little bit wary because of how much I loved the previous two books and I didn't know if Annith's story could live up to Ismae's and Sybella's. But all of my expectations were exceeded and I didn't need to worry. This book was amazing! Also full of emotions that I didn't sign up for.

At the moment I feel incapable of writing a real, coherent review because I'm... lost? I loved the book so much and now I don't know what to do because it's over. The next book isn't out until next year and there's basically no information at the moment. So I don't know what to do with myself. We've all been here.

Even if I can't form coherent thoughts, I have one thing to say that should express exactly how much I adore this book and this series. It's taken the #1 spot on my favorites list from ACOTAR. I like it more than ACOTAR and TOG. I can't choose if I like this or Va/BL better, so don't ask, but IT BEAT SJM BOOKS. If you know me, you know this is huge. 😅

So anyway. Everything about this book was amazing. It was full of wonderful characters, swoonworthy romances, shocking twists, political/court drama, and just perfection, to be honest. Robin does a brilliant job of taking slower plots and making them just as intense and gripping.

My favorite parts were Ismae, Sybella, and Annith's friendships, all of the romances coming together, and Anne with her little sister Isabeau. SO MANY FEELINGS. And I loved that while the ending wrapped things up nicely, it also hinted at what was to come for all of my favorites.

This was likely a mess of a review but there it is. I don't think I can do any better, and I'm sure you all know by now how much I love these books. They're precious, emotional, spectacular fantasies, and everyone should read them. 😍

NOW I NEED 2018 TO COME SO I CAN HAVE THE NEXT BOOK.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mortal Heart.

July 26, 2017 – Started Reading
July 26, 2017 – Shelved
page 23
4.96% "more respect for Annith. you go girl."
page 63
13.58% "but she could've used that chance to escape!"
page 170
36.64% "they're awesome. as is this book."
page 175
37.72% "I love the Arduinnites."
page 211
45.47% "THEY'RE ALL TOGETHER ❤️❤️❤️

and can the abbess just leave and never return? 🤗"
page 290
62.5% "Isabeau is so sweet and innocent omg I hope she lives ❤️"
page 301
64.87% "I was NOT expecting that"
page 305
65.73% "WHAT"
page 344
74.14% "💔💔💔💔💔💔"
page 354
76.29% "feels feels feels feels FEELS"
page 394
84.91% ""Don't you see? Your mortal heart shines like a candle flame and I am helpless before its lure."

AHHH ❤️

how are there only 50 pages left!?"
July 27, 2017 – Shelved as: favorites
July 27, 2017 – Finished Reading
March 5, 2018 – Shelved as: all-time-favorites
January 2, 2019 – Started Reading
January 2, 2019 –
page 101
21.77% "*impatiently waits for Balthazaar to appear*"
January 3, 2019 –
page 377
81.25% "there are just as many emotions the second time around!!!"
January 4, 2019 – Shelved as: reread