KFForever's Reviews > Star Struck

Star Struck by Laurelin Paige

kfforever

Reviewed by Emma-Louise on behalf of KFF

What happens when you allow perceptions and stubbornness to get in your way? This is exactly what happens in Star Struck.  Heather Wainwright is a high profile actress who comes from the wrong side of the tracks and fears being branded ‘White Trash’. Seth Rafferty is a humble and giving Production Designer who also was raised on the poorer side of life.  Only he doesn’t see it as a secret to hide and be ashamed of. Emotions run high in the first part of this book.  Heather first meets Seth and when she comes to believe he is a carpenter she takes a step back.

“He was too appalled—and turned on—to speak.  Anything he said would just get him in trouble, and not the good kind of trouble.”

The chemistry between Seth and Heather is combustible.  Seth knows Heather's type:  ‘Demanding, and self-important’, so rather than reading her in on his actual profession Seth allows her to believe he’s just a carpenter. Very rarely do I find a romance book where I have more empathy for the male lead. This very action occurred whilst reading Star Struck.  I truly got whiplash with my feelings towards Heather.  There were times when I preferred her PA Lexie more so than her. Heather, in my mind became redeemable when she became a human being with feelings.  When her past rode her back, when she didn’t know which way to turn, but knew that Seth was intoxicating and she couldn’t get enough of him.

“She wished it could cover up Seth’s bite marks and her flushed face, and her trailer park past and her pathetic excuse for a soul that never let her move anywhere beyond white trash.”

Enemies to lovers more often than not work for me because of the abundance of emotion in them.  I relish the push and pull of the Hero/Heroine trying to figure out whether they want to slap or kiss each other.  The passion, when the book is done right, makes the pages sizzle when it comes to the more intimate scenes.

Since I discovered this author, I have found her books to be ones that I always enjoy.  Be it because of emotions they elicit, because of a the characters or scenarios she creates, they all feel incredibly real to me. The twists and turns oftentimes leave me pondering or downright obsessed with how and why something happened. Laurelin Paige has fast become an auto-click author for me and Star Struck has only cemented those feelings in me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Star Struck.

Finished Reading