Rob's Reviews > In Persuasion Nation

In Persuasion Nation by George Saunders

Apr 22, 2008

bookshelves: own, 2009, collection
Recommended to Rob by: Adam

In lieu of a actual substantive review, a few notes:

(1) A typical Saunders collection. This means you're getting some delightfully weird prose but it also means you're getting (more than?) a few tales oblique enough to blot out the sun. Which is not to comment on whether/not those stories are any good.

(2) Recipe for a Saunders short story: take 1 protagonist (preferably male) in some way already at the end of his distressed rope; add 1 foil (preferably female) at the end of her respective rope with him, mix liberally with 2 parts cuckoldry (though henpecking will do as a substitute if beaten with sufficient vigor). Blend in a conservative portion of concentrated lampoon of consumer-culture. If you haven't already, make sure to de-bone the protagonist before the story's end and to remove any chance of success. Garnish with a zombie; or if no zombie is available, try ghosts.

------

• In Persuasion Nation — ★★★★
• Bohemians — ★★★½
• Commcomm — ★★★½
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Persuasion Nation.

Quotes Rob Liked

George Saunders
“America, to me, should be shouting all the time, a bunch of shouting voices, most of them wrong, some of them nuts, but please, not just one droning glamourous reasonable voice.”
George Saunders, In Persuasion Nation

May 12, 2009 –
page 89
May 13, 2009 –
page 102
44.74% "(taking a pause to commence w/ another book)"
Started Reading
May 24, 2009 –
page 155
67.98% "Sometime it's easy to forget just how WEIRD George Saunders is."
May 24, 2009 – Finished Reading
May 25, 2009 – Shelved as: 2009
December 9, 2009 – Shelved as: collection

message 1: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob Isabella wrote: "...found a way to half star the ratings!!"

all I can say is... ½-)

message 2: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob Isabella wrote: "I just would like to know how you did that? "

I'm not actually giving the half-star to the review, just noting them in the comments/review body. The stars are black b/c the ★ & ½ characters are just glyphs in the font set. They're not Wingdings, I'm pulling them out of the Character Palette (a neat little feature on the Mac) and dropping them here.

cheers,