Valeen Robertson (Live Thru Books Blog)'s Reviews > Kisses Sweeter Than Wine

Kisses Sweeter Than Wine by Jess Dee

bookshelves: arcs, menage-threesome, bi, second-chance, boys-who-like-boys, mmf

Ménages are one of my favorite things to read, but only if they're done well and the emotional component is as important or even more so, than the physical. Jess Dee knows how to write a great ménage, that's for certain. Kisses Sweeter than Wine is a steamy, angsty MMF second chance of sorts romance.

Declan broke off his engagement the weekend he was to get married. And now, his best friend, Noah, is bringing him back to the same hotel/vineyard he was to get married in. Declan's furious, and hurt that Noah has the nerve to bring him here. But, what he doesn't know is that Noah has a plan to get him to live again, something he hasn't been doing since he broke off his engagement. He's brought Violet to the hotel too, a woman who works in PR and who can help their company market itself, a woman they both know and have feelings for, a woman who happens to be Declan's ex fiancée's best friend. Yikes...

As the weekend unwinds, the three begin to explore the feelings that have always simmered among the them, and pretty soon the moscato the hotel/vineyard offers is lowering their inhibitions and allowing them to bare their souls to each other. They blend seamlessly together, all three of them together. Declan with Noah and Declan and Noah with Violet. But, can they really find a way to make a relationship work when Declan is still caving to his parents' expectations, expectations that do not involve another man in Declan's bed? And can Violet get past her guilt for falling for her best friend's former fiancé and his best friend? Sigh...so much angst! It's the primary reason I couldn't rate this a 5 star that I was tempted to rate it. Declan waffled too much about his stupid conservative, homophobic parents and Violet took too much guilt upon herself for my tastes. I preferred the calm acceptance that Noah exhibited to Declan's broody angst and Violet's martyred guilt.

Aside from those minor quibbles, though, I really liked Kisses Sweeter than Wine. It's sexy and balanced well emotionally. All three characters are realistic, the kind of person we all know, we all are. And that makes the steam between them all the more appealing, because it's based on realism, not fantasy.

I received an ARC through NetGalley for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kisses Sweeter Than Wine.

Finished Reading