Katherine 's Reviews > The End of Alice

The End of Alice by A.M. Homes

bookshelves: murder-mystery-crime, tough-stuff, cant-put-down

This book is creepy . Hard core creepy, diving face first into a very hard core subject which is pedophilia. A middle aged convict in prison for the murder and abuse of a child who corresponds with a 19 year old girl who's trying to seduce a young boy in her neighborhood. Dark

If reading about this sort of subject is too much for you then don't read it because the book gets graphic and takes a full dive of what goes into the minds of those sorts of predators.

The main character is a very intriguing man, interesting in the way that he is unlike anyone ive ever read about and is completely unapologetic for what he has done. At a young age his mother abused him his will which we can assume turned his own "appetite" for young girls. In his case he takes his perversion one step further as he not only abuses his victims but he also enjoys killing them.

Perhaps in doing so he is avenging himself for his what his mother did to him. Alice , his last girl was a girl who not only lived after his first attack but we are meant to believe enjoyed the experience. He tricked her family into thinking hes just a nice man increadibly easily. She, in twisted turn of events turns out to the a "pervert" as well as she demands things of him too. It almost felt like he didn't want to kill her - like he was in love with her - he even says she is too old for him if I remember correctly.

As if the true perversion in their relationship (?) is that she is too old for him and he should not want her.

After what happened between them which I wont spoil he is found out and sent to prison where he begins a correspondance with a young woman who found out about him and asks for his advise. She is lost soul with no idea what she wants to do in life but has an obsession with a young boy who she pretends to babysit.

The book tries not only to explain the concept to you but to also deem you, the reader guilty as well. If not as guilty as we should think he is, but guilty in a very twisted way you never expected to be accused of as a reader.

An original twist if I've ever read one and a message that I've never found anywhere else. He tricked her family so easily and abused their child right under their nose. I found the fact that her name is Alice an interesting addition as the name usually accompanies darkness, magic and a "rabbit whole". Alice to him was special and something out of this world almost like she wasn't real.

I thought the book was brilliant, well written and unforgettable. Its not a pleasant read by any means, there's no happy ending or big rescue and its not for the fainthearted .

If you cant read a story where the rape and murder of children is graphically described don't read it. If however you can muster the strength and read it, it will be one of the creepiest books you ever touch and you will get a better idea of the subject in general.

In my opinion topics and books such as this one are important because as hard as they might be they are very real. There are so many predators in this world and choosing not to educate our selves about them, about the cycle of abuse and the consequences of it, can prove to be as dangerous as giving a child to one of them.

I definitely think you should be more than at least 15? to read this book and would recommend it to anyone with an open mind and curious nature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Alice.

Started Reading