Melissa Rochelle's Reviews > A Column of Fire

A Column of Fire by Ken Follett

liked it
bookshelves: read-2017, arc

Sometimes door-stop books can be real slogs to get through. OR you do what I do and treat them like a TV mini-series -- read it over several weeks and it seems to go by without feeling like "UGH! I'm not DONE YET?!"

The Pillars of the Earth is one of my favorite books. I read it QUICKLY over a summer by the pool. The characters were interesting and the writing made for easy reading. Follett's writing style hasn't changed much, but I feel like as we dive deeper into the political history and move characters into London we lose some of what made the first two books so great. Pillars and World Without End were about the town of Kingsbridge and its citizens across classes. This book feels way more about THE WORLD. In that way, this book is much more similar to his Century Trilogy. It doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the political maneuverings of this book, but it felt very different from the previous two novels in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Column of Fire.

June 26, 2017 – Started Reading
July 24, 2017 – Shelved
July 25, 2017 –
July 25, 2017 –
August 13, 2017 –
85.0% "I love Follet's easy writing style, but I feel like there's one too many moving pieces in this book. It's hard to fall in love with a character when there's so much hopping around between them."
August 13, 2017 – Finished Reading
August 14, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
August 14, 2017 – Shelved as: arc

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Claire Doyle I totally agree. Pillars of the Earth was a fantastic book, the best of the series.