Tanja Berg's Reviews > The Beauty Myth: How Images of Beauty Are Used Against Women

The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf

bookshelves: feminism, non-fiction

Although this book was released in 1991, it is still relevant today. The liberation of women in the sense of getting legal rights as human beings, such as voting rights and access to birth control, lead to a backlash. In order to disempower women, we were made to think we were ugly and inundated with images of what the perfect woman should look like and how to get there. Bulimia and anorexia are still rampant. A woman is still supposed to be wrinkle-free, and we're still supposed to spend inordinate amounts of money on maintenance.

I read an article in Norway that 1 out of 5 women in my income segment has had cosmetic surgery. That is staggering. I almost started to consider it myself. However, surgery is still surgery and that is not a risk I will take unless my health is at stake. There will be no knife to my face and no botox to my brow. In many other aspects I have distanced myself from attempts at brain washing. I haven't bought a beauty magazine (Glamour, Vogue, Elle) or ANY kind of woman's magazine since in my teens. I still care about my appearance, but I am not a slave to fashion and of late, not to size either. Perfection, I am not striving for it. It's too late now anyway, ha ha.

How stronger we could all be, if we would not be made to feel ugly. But we can still rise above it. After all, supposedly, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent. And I, dear reader, refuse to consent. I will not bow to the figurative corset of seeking to be a size that my body does not want to accomodate, or spotless skin and cellulite free legs. My energy is focused on my career and my hard-earned income is spent on books and travel - not beauty treatments.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beauty Myth.

July 24, 2017 – Started Reading
July 24, 2017 – Shelved
July 24, 2017 – Shelved as: feminism
July 24, 2017 – Shelved as: non-fiction
July 30, 2017 –
15.0% "I would like to think the world has changed since this book was written, but alas, the beauty myth still presides. The current youth obsession is just one of the symptoms. Confession: even I have considered a bit of a nip & tuck, being at an age where I will soon become a wall flower. It was just a momentary lapse, I have better things to do with my life than be pleasing to the eye."
August 2, 2017 –
46.0% "The content is important and I am rather sorry to see that the beauty myth is alive and well 26 years after this book was first published. It does suffer a bit from too much statistics and studies though."
November 16, 2017 – Finished Reading