Hira's Reviews > Flat-Out Love

Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park

Sep 10, 2011

bookshelves: high-expectations, ya, romance, contemporary
Read from November 12 to 13, 2011

This was just the pick-me-up I needed. Dysfunctional families, drama and a weird romance.

Julie has moved to Boston from Ohio to begin college, and start life anew. Just one problem, the apartment she was supposed to move into turned out to be a burrito shop! And so, Julie moves in with a family friend instead. They turn out to be quite dysfunctional indeed, parents who are never around, their eldest son travelling around the world for some time and hasn't come home, a genius for their second son who loves wearing geeky shirts, and a quirky teenage daughter who carries around a cardboard cutout of her eldest brother. And there's something they're hiding from Julie, a trauma, a past incident which is why they are this way. And Julie's determined to find out what it is, and to 'fix' them.

This book had me laughing at times, and had me completely invested in the story, wanting to see what will happen. I read this in 2 sittings. The interactions and relationships were very nicely done, and I loved reading the scenes with Celeste. I couldn't help but like all her quirkiness.

I figured out the mystery before it was revealed in the book, it was just...a way to wrap things up for this book, it seemed to me, and while making sense, it was just terribly awkward if you think about it. And some things weren't wrapped up properly in the end, I felt, such as Julie's relationship with her dad and all. (view spoiler)

All in all, a good read, an example of self-publishing gone right. I'd recommend to those who like reading family books/romance fans.

Oh, and the whole connection to Facebook was really fun too! I especially liked this status:
"I hope that someday they invent a car that runs on inappropriate thoughts."

Update: Just wanted to add this image. Pretty much explains her relationship with her dad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flat-Out Love.

11/13/2011

message 1: by Reynje (new)

Reynje Great review Hira ;) I have this on my kindle to read soon..

Nomes love the review

I agree about the spoiler. that aspect didn't work for me...

Hira Thanks guys! I hope you enjoy it Reynje. :)

@Nomes: It only seemed like a way to have a complicated romance and (view spoiler)

Nomes it was a complicated romance (view spoiler)

Hira Exactly! (view spoiler)

Adrienne Marie i really liked this book. it was exactly what i was looking for at the time. i think its one you need to read twice :) I gave it 4 stars too :)

Hira Glad you liked it as well :) I don't think I'll ever read this again though, for me it's the type that's good only the first time round.