C.G. Drews's Reviews > Ferocious

Ferocious by Paula Stokes

Jul 25, 2017

liked it
bookshelves: 3-star, read-2017, young-adult, thriller-crime, sci-fi

Well THAT was a wild ride, although I'm a smudge disappointed the stakes were way lower than in the first book. I mean the first book was "SOLVE SISTER'S MURDER" (it's in the blurb so not a spoiler don't panic smol child) but this book was like "STEAL BACK TECHNOLOGY" and I just??? I'm very much less invested in technology than I am in sisters. I think this means I have a soul and that worries me too, wow and ouch. But I do like the plot twists! And the romance was A+. It's like the opposite of normal for me to really love the romance most of all, but I did!! I think Winter x Jesse's slowburn relationship was absolutely adorable and full of really well written character development!! So pleased!!

L I K E S
• Lots of action scenes were there is stabbing and shooting and badass girls taking no shennanigans.
• It's actually mostly set in Korea this time! I loved the details that really made it pop off the page and just it was written with such care! I could tell the author had been to Korea for sure.
• SO MUCH DELICIOUS KOREAN FOOD.
• It really delves deeper into Winter's mental illness and it was explored really well. I also think it's 100% awesome that it included a positive and healthy outlook on therapy and getting help. A lot of books fall into the trap of making that, like, a villain? But not so here! HURRAH.
• Jesse is an adorable little lamb.
• I cannot ship Jesse and Winter enough. <3 Plus I loved that their relationship (firstly starting as friendship) is built on respect. Jesse knows what Winter has been through and he won't push or make demands. He's so sweet. And Winter is so respectful of him too as she figures out if she has room to love. They had SUCH cute moments.
• I do think this book focused a lot more on characters which is GRAND.
• And some of the dialogue had me snorting quietly and being very pleased with the banter levels.
• I also liekd not knowing who was good vs bad, because HI. Who wants to be calm while reading? Clearly not me.

D I S L I K E S
• Okay so I struggled to stay engaged with the plot because a lot of it was just stalking around Korea and trying to steal back this tech and I just??? Didn't really care, tbh.
• Note: I am also SO bad at thrillers sometimes, so maybe just send me to the corner of shame. I need to learn to be thrilled.
• I often struggled with the writing style and feeling quite detached from the action/pain/emotion happening. Winter would say what she felt, but I wanted to SEE and FEEL it myself. The writing felt a bit too factual and clinical at times. I think this is just a writer-style-preference-thing? So it didn't really work for me, but that might not be the case for all!
• There was way not enough burritos. I suffer with Jesse.
• I honestly felt like I was just there to see if the characters lived and got to fly majestically into the sunset...instead of being invested in the story. I loved the fluff scenes vs the action scenes. Which is weird because generally I'm opposite!

ALL IN ALL: A very satisfying conclusion to Winter's story, I just wasn't fully invested in the actual plot line. But the ending was super good and I'M HAPPY. I just think the stakes were way too low compared to the first book and there was nothing to tug at my heart strings. But also can we take a moment to say that shade of blue on the cover is FAB.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ferocious.

July 24, 2017 – Started Reading
July 24, 2017 – Shelved
July 24, 2017 –
49.0% "My kindle app thinks it's going to take me 2hrs to finish this book. HA. YOU THINK YOU KNOW ME, DEAR QUAINT KINDLE."
July 25, 2017 – Shelved as: 3-star