Michelle's Reviews > Moby Dick

Moby Dick by Christophe Chabouté

bookshelves: comics, classics, read-in-2018

I have absolutely no desire to read the original Moby Dick, so I'm glad this comic exists.

As a comic fan, I liked this quite a bit, but I have no idea how it stacks up to the original. From what I've seen in other reviews, this adaptation is more straightforward and focuses on the action/plot instead of the philosophical musings of the original. I'm okay with focusing on the action, but I do admit I wouldn't have been mad if this was written a little more densely.

I think where the adaptation really works is how it handles depicting the ins and outs of whale fishing. From what I know of the novel, Melville goes into exhaustive detail about fishing and sea life - Chabouté does a really great job at illustrating this, eliminating the need for tedious prose.

Chabouté's b&w is wonderfully expressive and stylistic enough that it captures Ahab's mad energy without being cartoony. The action scenes are also well-drawn and evoke excitement.

The only thing about this work that gave me pause was the depiction of the Queequeg - a primitive tribesman who's also tattooed and a cannibal. I understand that he's a character from the original novel and that Chabouté wouldn't want to stray too far from Melville's characterization of him, but his characteristics are cliché (ie. his broken English) which put me off a bit (though it should be noted that *none* of the characters get a lot of development, due to the narrative being more focused on action).

Overall, this was an enjoyable read and a nice digestible way to read Melville's intimidating classic. I look forward to reading more of Chabouté's work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moby Dick.

July 24, 2017 – Shelved