Sara's Reviews > Apples Are from Kazakhstan: The Land That Disappeared

Apples Are from Kazakhstan by Christopher Robbins

Apr 22, 2008

bookshelves: nonfiction, travel, highly-recommended
Recommended for: anyone with a degree of wanderlust or just wide-ranging curiosity
Read in May, 2008

Now I want to visit Kazakhstan.

This book is a lovingly-written, extensively researched ode to a little-known and much-mocked nation. The author, aside from traveling to the remotest parts of this already remote country, also makes a thorough study of the Kazakh president and political history since the country's recent independence.

As a result, this book is crazy educational. "Crazy educational?" you say, doubtful and with slight scorn. Yes - it is educational, but the history, the natural resources, the tragedy of its treatment under the Soviets - is all so fascinating you'll never enjoy education so much.

The author includes backstory, such as the tale of the haughty English explorer determined to travel the breadth of the land during one of the harshest winters in memory and the time great Russian writers spent here in exile.

I hope the author makes a habit of illuminating neglected nations, because I've never enjoyed a travelogue as much as I did this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Apples Are from Kazakhstan.

11/05/2016 marked as: read