Dani Shuping's Reviews > The Cloud Searchers

The Cloud Searchers by Kazu Kibuishi

Sep 10, 2011

bookshelves: graphic-novel

This is the third volume is Kibuishi's amulet series and we return to Emily and Navin, in their continued quest to help defeat the elf king. Leon Redbeard is tasked with guiding them to the guardian council, the lost rulers and most powerful stone keepers in the kingdom. If anyone can help them they can. There's just one problem...their city disappeared long ago and many think it has been destroyed. But the group has to try to find them. Along the way they meet new friends, old so called enemies, and a powerful new foe. Emily must continue to master the amulet in order to help them along their way and to ensure their survival.

Even with the introduction of more characters Kazu creates a world that's easy to inhabit and follow along with (although it does help to reread the previous volumes before picking up this one.) In this book we learn even more about the elf kingdom and some of its darkest secrets. There are only a couple places that I wish we found out more about the characters, like when they land at the fill stations. What's the story between Rico and the owner? Hopefully more of the story will be revealed along the way...it's just one of those nagging little mysteries. The artwork continues to shine and allow you to get deeper and deeper into the world around the characters. Kazu and his team do an amazing job with creating depth in the illustrations and colors.

I continue to highly recommend this series every chance I get and the only downside of the series is having to wait for that next volume to find out what happens to Emily, Navin, and the gang.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cloud Searchers.