John's Reviews > Homicide in Hardcover

Homicide in Hardcover by Kate Carlisle

Jul 24, 2017

liked it

I'm a bit of a sucker for novels involving books and writing, especially mysteries, so I thought this one would be right up my street. Well, it was, sort of -- certainly I read through it fast enough!

My problem with the mystery aspect was that, toward the end, the author was to an extent guilty of coyly holding back information from the reader. My problem with the thriller aspect of it was that the whole great culminatory finale, the scene that was supposed to have me on the edge of my seat, relied on a totally artificial setup: once our heroine has worked out who the kiler is, her reason for calling the murderer first rather than the cops is that she wants to make the murderer squirm a bit before San Francisco's Finest pop on the cuffs. Suicidal or what? Natch, the murderer comes calling with revolver in hand . . .

On the other hand, my problem with the central character, Brooklyn Wainwright, is that she's depicted as an aw-gosh-wow-what-sexy-buns-he-has-turns-my-knees-to-jelly airhead, which may fit some chicklit paradigm of which I wot not but seems unlikely as the dominant thought pattern of a professional book restorer; maybe Brooklyn would encourage a killer to knock her off. Alas, I have analogous problems with most of the book's other characters, too: they seem to be collections of stereotypes rather than actual people.

All of which sounds pretty damning.

On the plus side, this is quite a lot of fun to read, a bit of fluff that held my attention and often enough made me grin even if it never actually set my pulse racing. If I'd been on a long train journey I'd have found it an ideal companion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homicide in Hardcover.

Started Reading
July 24, 2017 – Shelved
July 24, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy Your review made me laugh, but it doesn't sound like my thing!

John Judy wrote: "Your review made me laugh, but it doesn't sound like my thing!"

I should have mentioned that the book-restoration bits are quite a lot of fun. I could have done with more of them, though I can quite understand if the author was concerned about overload.