Jonathan Snyder's Reviews > The Thing From the Lake

The Thing From the Lake by Eleanor M. Ingram

When I first picked up this title, I did it only because the title sounded interesting and unusual for books from the 1920s. I have a personal like for the older literature as it gives you an interesting look into our past.

The Thing From the Lake was a book that caught me off guard. I found the story to be very intriguing once you have gotten to the 20s style of flowery words and digressions in thought that would typically be cut out of books today.

I found that this book read to me like one of the first types of supernatural/science fiction type stories where what you would expect doesn't turn out the way you thought. I was completely caught off by the (good) ending.

The book has some things that could be considered issues nowadays. As it was written in the 1920s, the opinion and way women are portrayed my strike a wrong chord with the modern reader. Though Ms. Ingram does well of giving her female leads personality, they do conform more of the cute, need-to-be-rescued type damsels though they do have action of their own and aren't "sexy lamps" that could be easily replaced.

I enjoyed this book and look forward to rereading it one day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thing From the Lake.

July 24, 2017 – Started Reading