Anish Kohli's Reviews > The Fellowship of the Ring

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

20963257

One does not simply review the LOTR!!

Yet here I am, trying to do so. In the words of Sam-the-wise Gamgee, I can sum up my review. “Oh, that doesn’t do them justice by a long road.”
This was a BR with The one who DNF’d it and The one who didn't like it. Non believers, I tell you!
I have taken my own sweet time with this book, relishing each of its pages and words and watching the movie as I read the book. It has been a great time!
“Is it not a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt for so small a thing?”
It is Bilbo Baggins’ eleventy first (111th) birthday. All of the Shire is invited to celebrate the event of a queer hobbit who is rumored to have immense treasures accumulated from his adventurous journey so long ago. For Bilbo though, there has always been one treasure. A golden shiny ring.
All of the shire is present for Bilbo’s big day but little do they know that he has something planned.
‘I wish to make an ANNOUNCEMENT.’ He spoke this last word so loudly and suddenly that everyone sat up who still could. ‘I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. I regret to announce that – though, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to spend among you – this is the END. I am going. I am leaving NOW. GOOD-BYE!’
And away he goes, on his last journey to find peace, bestowing (forced by Gandalf) his treasured ring to his younger cousin Frodo.
For many years life goes on for Frodo as it should, with his friends Pippin and Merry and not to forget Sam. Until one day the wizard Gandalf pays him a visit and tells him the secret of his heirloom. That what he carries is no ordinary ring but THE ONE RING.
‘One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.’
Poor Frodo. Who never wanted to be put in such a situation. Frodo, who led a simple and peaceful life.
‘I wish it need not have happened in my time,’ said Frodo.
‘So do I,’ said Gandalf, ‘and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'
Now Frodo must flee, carrying the evil ring, to the land of the elves, Rivendell, for he is being hunted by a deadly foe. And who shall accompany him but his friends Merry and Pippin and always Sam, my dear Sam. "It’s a dangerous business, going out of your door. You step into the Road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to."
Through many a great peril, the four little hobbits reach the land of elves where all of middle earth must decide the fate of the ring in a secret council.
‘We must take a hard road, a road unforeseen. There lies our hope, if hope it be. To walk into peril – to Mordor. We must send the Ring to the Fire.’
The hearts of Men, Dwarves, Wizards and even Elves are found wanting for courage to undertake the task that must be accomplished when Frodo steps up to the dangerous task. It must be true what they say. ‘Courage is found in unlikely places.’
‘I will take the Ring, though I do not know the way’ said Frodo.
‘My dear Frodo!’ exclaimed Gandalf. ‘Hobbits really are amazing creatures. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you.’
Frodo is appointed the ring bearer, the one who shall carry the burden that none else are willing to. He should carry the heavy burden.
‘But you won’t send him off alone surely, Master?’ cried Sam, unable to contain himself any longer, and jumping up from the corner where he had been quietly sitting on the floor.
‘No indeed!’ said Elrond, turning towards him with a smile. ‘You at least shall go with him. It is hardly possible to separate you from him, even when he is summoned to a secret council and you are not.’
And how can Merry and Pippin be far behind Frodo and Sam?
‘That’s what I meant,’ said Pippin. ‘We hobbits ought to stick together, and we will. I shall go, unless they chain me up. There must be someone with intelligence in the party.’
‘Then you certainly will not be chosen, Peregrin Took!’ said Gandalf
The fellowship is formed that shall accompany and guide the ring bearer.
A Man: Boromir of Gondor, Son of Denethor.
A Dwarf: Gimli, son of Gloin.
A King in exile: Aragorn, son of Arathorn
An Elf: Legolas, son of Thranduil.
A wizard: Gandalf the Grey
Four hobbits: Frodo, Merry, Pippin and of course, Sam!

So begins the journey of the fellowship of these nine that holds the future of all those who live in the middle earth. Together they must brave so much to reach where they want to reach. But what binds them together? Naught but friendship and loyalty. And yet the evil of the ring shall lead to the breaking of this fellowship and still Frodo must go on, alone. But how can Sam ever leave his side?
‘Of all the confounded nuisances you are the worst, Sam!’ ‘Oh, Mr. Frodo, that’s hard!’ said Sam
No. Sam wont. He shall keep him company through thick and thin.

I have just read a book from a madman. “No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” Often have I heard and read this quote. But never did it actually take. Why would it? I never met any greats. I never read any greats.

I picked this book mostly on a whim. No reason why I would read a book whose story I know word for word through the movies that I have watched countless times. No real reason why would I read 500 pages to get to an end I already know. Except for one reason. The writing. To experience a great man. To read from the father or Fantasy.
“That was an eye-opener, and no mistake!”
What makes for a good book, I often ask myself. And always I answer that having a story is the easy part. It’s the easiest thing. Each one of us has a story or few inside our heads and hearts. Whether or not we tell them is a different matter but we all have stories, regardless. So that’s the easy part.
The hard part is to tell it. To pen it down in a way that someone would want to keep reading. That’s the hard part but manageable. Many can do it. But there is still the hardest part left that not all can pull off.

The toughest part is to create a believable setting, to create a world and then to populate it. To give it a feel. Make it into something that a reader can see in their mind’s eye, can almost touch it and practically taste it. I consider this the toughest part and that’s what makes for great Authors and Storytellers.

But a madman genius should be able to pull it off, right? So, is Tolkien that person? Of course he is. He doesn’t need my nod to be the genius that the world knows him to be. This is one the finest writing I have ever encountered and quite frankly it borders on madness.
‘I feel as if I was inside a song’
There is such a rich feeling in the book! So much work has gone into shaping up this world that we love in LOTRs collectively. This guy, he not only created a world and populated it, he actually gave it a history. The world of middle earth wasn’t just formed overnight and a great adventure commenced in it. No.
There is so much in the books that points to the fact that this world has been around for a very long time and has a history. So much history. Languages and poems and stories and back stories and different realms and beasts and the evil and even their history. I could feel everything mentioned in the book. I do not have any better word to describe it other than saying it is a VERY rich piece of writing. The best one I have tasted so far.
There are poems and songs in the book and as annoying as they become at times, I cannot deny that they are beautifully done. This is a book from a master, one who was at the top of his game. No one takes that away from him. This book is simply a masterpiece in terms of writing.

Yet, I’d lying if I didn’t say a few things bugged me. The dialogues in most places are not upto the mark. Infact, at a few places, a few of them feel funny in a dangerous setting and sometimes simply aloof. A lot of what could have been part of the narrative is put in as a monologue from a character when they are alone. The characters are not all that well shaped up and the only characters that I liked in the book were Gandalf and Sam. The most disappointing of the lot was Legolas. As amazing this book is, there is not one doubt in my mind that the movie, as wildly different from the book it turned out, it was FAR, FAR better and Peter Jackson created magic. And all the difference in the movie are for the better and it further goes to show how much effort was put into adapting these books.

This book though, the whole story is amazing but the thing that adds to the whole charm, for me, has always been the bond of Sam and Frodo. The camaraderie and the love that Sam has for Frodo. It’s something beautifully done. And it’s only just the beginning, laddies! Needless to say that I will be seeing this series through because, One simply does not skip such amazing books! Sorry, couldn’t help it. :P
I shall return soon. To see Boromir redeem himself. To see Gandalf find his way back to Aragorn and to meet the horse lords of Rohan! But mostly, I shall return to accompany Frodo on his journey and for my dear Sam.
“But I’m glad, Sam. I cannot tell you how glad. Come along! It is plain that we were meant to go together. We will go, and may the others find a safe road! Strider will look after them. I don’t suppose we shall see them again.”
“Yet we may, Mr. Frodo. We may.” said Sam.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fellowship of the Ring.

Quotes Anish Liked

J.R.R. Tolkien
“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

July 23, 2017 – Started Reading
July 23, 2017 – Shelved
July 24, 2017 –
page 50
9.42% "Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Always gets me. Always!!"
July 28, 2017 –
page 100
18.83% "Chapter 6
Yawns
Yeah, pull out your guns and pitchforks! This has gotten BORING."
July 31, 2017 –
page 120
22.02% "Tom sang most of the time, but it was chiefly nonsense.

And I shall not argue with that! :P

Also, my buddy readers seem to have abandoned ship!"
August 3, 2017 –
page 180
33.03% "Chapter 9 Begins.

So...at what point am I supposed to start caring about the characters? :/"
August 8, 2017 –
page 250
45.87% ""It is precious to me, though I buy it with great pain."

Make way laddies!!! Isildur's bane is found!! Behold....
The One Ring!"
August 8, 2017 –
page 280
52.73% ""Mayhap the Sword-that-was-Broken may still stem the tide – if the hand that wields it has inherited not an heirloom only, but the sinews of the Kings of Men." said Boromir

"Who can tell?" said Aragorn. "But we will put it to the test one day."

Oooooh, Boromir takes a dig! :P"
August 10, 2017 –
page 300
56.5% "The more I am reading this, the more I realize that the movie was wildly deviating from the books!! Didn't see that coming.
Both amazing in their own right but different."
August 15, 2017 –
page 350
65.91% "The more I read, the more I see what a genius Peter Jackson is!
His movies are far better than the book! Fight me, if you want! I am ready!"
August 18, 2017 –
page 360
67.8% "No....
"
August 20, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)

Em Lost In Books finally! :)

message 2: by Emelia (new)

Emelia This book is EPIC Anish !!!! You will love it !

message 3: by R (new) - rated it 2 stars

R K YAAAAA

Anish Kohli Manju wrote: "finally! :)"

I remember promising a certain lady named Manju! ;)
I hope I love it bcz honestly, LOTR movies are my favs.

Oh but but but!! First two chapters are so different from the movies already! I am intrigued.

Anish Kohli Emelia wrote: "This book is EPIC Anish !!!! You will love it !"

I am counting on it miss. Bcz if I do not love it, I know for a fact that a lady will be out for my blood! And I mean it literally! :P

Em Lost In Books Anish wrote: "Manju wrote: "finally! :)"

I remember promising a certain lady named Manju! ;)
I hope I love it bcz honestly, LOTR movies are my favs.

Oh but but but!! First two chapters are so different from th..."

message 7: by Attack Salmon (new)

Attack Salmon Salmon is scared XD

Anish Kohli R wrote: "YAAAAA"

Yeeeeeeehawwwww!!!! :P

How far in are you?

Anish Kohli Manju wrote: "And I thought you're going to read it in your dotage and in someplace hilly. you broke both your promises. :P"

Oh well, you got me so intrigued I couldn't wait. :P

Anish Kohli Attack Salmon wrote: "Salmon is scared XD"

Don't be scared. Gollum will make the ride worth it! Yesss he will, precious! :P

message 11: by Orient (new) - added it

Orient Enjoy ;) It's an epic series! :)

Anish Kohli Orient wrote: "Enjoy ;) It's an epic series! :)"

I hope to enjoy it. So far, the force is strong with this one. :P xD

Yamna Rashid -_- Boring?
I wanna call you names but I can't say some of those words in public :P

Anish Kohli Yamna wrote: "-_- Boring?
I wanna call you names but I can't say some of those words in public :P"

Oh go right ahead! People wouldnt mind. Everyone loves a guy being cussed at! xD
Even I wanna hear those names! :P

message 15: by Supratim (new) - added it

Supratim Enjoy! I have to get my hands on the series!

Anish Kohli Supratim wrote: "Enjoy! I have to get my hands on the series!"

Oh I am trying to enjoy it. I hope I love it like I love the movies!

Yamna Rashid That smug smile you have on your face when the guy who called Tolkien's writing "boring" and "not his thing" gives it 5 stars 😁

Yamna Rashid And didn't I tell you Sam and Frodo were the sweetest? 😊

Anish Kohli Yamna wrote: "That smug smile you have on your face when the guy who called Tolkien's writing "boring" and "not his thing" gives it 5 stars 😁"

It is boring in parts. I did maintain that! :P
I am dreading the part where the Ents come in bcz that part was boring even in the movie!

And what you all smug about, dumbass? Didnt I already say that it's a great piece of writing? :P

Anish Kohli Yamna wrote: "And didn't I tell you Sam and Frodo were the sweetest? 😊"

Yes you did, didn't you? You said that and a great many things! :)

Anish Kohli TheLoneTiger wrote: "Great review Anish!!😄"

Thanks Craig! :)

Em Lost In Books WoW! five stars came as surprise to me after all the whining you did while you're reading this. Glad that you liked it. :D

Anish Kohli Manju wrote: "WoW! five stars came as surprise to me after all the whining you did while you're reading this. Glad that you liked it. :D"

Hahaha XD
Well, my complaints stand, Manju. In the beginning it was very slow but these 5 stars are only for the way it is written! Amazing stuff!

And I loved it.....but......I love the movies more.

message 24: by Attack Salmon (new)

Attack Salmon Anish put me out to shame XP

Anish Kohli Attack Salmon wrote: "Anish put me out to shame XP"

Lol, no shame. I was this close to DNF'ing it too! But my OCD pulled me through! :P

message 26: by Sr3yas (new) - added it

Sr3yas After all the bitchin, A five star review? :o I don't know who you are anymore! :p Great review, btw

Anish Kohli Sr3yas wrote: "After all the bitchin, A five star review? :o I don't know who you are anymore! :p Great review, btw"

Lol, I mentioned the parts that irked me in the review. The bitching stands, man! :P
But the writing is great. :)
And thanks ^_^

Anish Kohli Avinash wrote: ""

Ginger Great review Anish! I want to go watch this again for the 100th time! :D

Aaryan Finally finished it? Great review!!

Anish Kohli Ginger wrote: "Great review Anish! I want to go watch this again for the 100th time! :D"

Thanks good lady! :)
I watched it 3 times while reading the book. Never gets old. ^_^

Anish Kohli Aaryan wrote: "Finally finished it? Great review!!"

Yes! Finally finished it. Great book.
And thanks! :)

message 34: by Orient (new) - added it

Orient One more great review, Anish ;) On book 2 now? :)

Anish Kohli Orient wrote: "One more great review, Anish ;) On book 2 now? :)"

Woah! I didnt get a notification of you liking or commenting on my review! GR is acting up again, I think!

Thanks miss! :)
I will be getting to book 2 soon. For now I have plans! :P

message 36: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo I love this review Anish!!☺️

Anish Kohli Jo (The Book Geek) wrote: "I love this review Anish!!☺️"

Thanks Jo! ^_^
I am glad you liked it :)

Have you read this series?

message 38: by Sucharita (new) - added it

Sucharita Paul "There is no great genius without some touch of madness"!..

Awesome review!:-)

Anish Kohli Sucharita wrote: ""There is no great genius without some touch of madness"!..

Awesome review!:-)"

Thank you! Glad you like it :)

Em*bedded-in-books* Wah..
making LOTR a project for 2018 😊

Anish Kohli Syl wrote: "Wah..
making LOTR a project for 2018 😊"

Haha! That's cool! I will be reading the final installment next year as well! Hopefully you'll catch up, eh? :)